Saving issue

I have a pdf form that was created in Acrobat that I would like to use as a “template” in my custom Intranet application. I want the user to be able to open the template, click the checkboxes and click save to have the system store it in a specific file location.

Here is how I’m currently trying to accomplish this. When a user clicks a button in my application, I grab the “template” form and save it to a folder on our network using a specific naming convention based on the user logged in. From there, I display the file located on the network using Response.Redirect. The user can click the checkboxes, etc. but the only save option that shows up when doing it this way is “save as”. This requires the user to navigate to the file location. I would like for the user just to click save and have it save over itself. Even if I have the user navigate to the file location (which is not preferred), I come across “file is already open” issues.

Does anyone have a java script example I could use to create a custom button that would save the existing file over the old file? Any other ideas??

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your inquiry. We are looking into the issue and will get back to you soon.

Best Regards,

Thank you for looking into this. I’m not trying to be difficult but do you have an idea of when this may be looked at? If it’s going to be a while then I need to let the users know that we will not be proceeding with this project.

Hi Melanie,

We are sorry for the delayed response. We are investigating the option to use javascript with pushbutton to save PDF form and will update you about this as soon as possible. Moreover as a workaround, I think you can create a web form to collect customer data, later on button click event can use Aspose.Pdf API to populate data into the PDF template and save final PDF document accordingly to your need.

Best Regards,

Thank you for your quick response. I thought about creating my own web form. However, there are many different pdf templates they would like to use which would require many different forms. In addition, the end users plan to modify the templates often. So instead of them coming to me to modify the forms, I just hoped I could let my program launch the appropriate template and the program can name it and save it to the correct location for them.

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your feedback. We have already logged an enhancement ticket PDFNEWNET-37396 in our issue tracking system to investigate the option to save PDF form using javascript. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress via this forum thread.

Best Regards,

Any chance you would have an approximate completion date? I’m only asking because this will determine the route we decide to take.

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your inquiry. I am afraid the reported issue is not resolved due to other priority issues. However, we have requested our development team to investigate the issue at their earliest and share an ETA. We will update you as soon as we get a feedback.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your patience. Our development team is investigating the issue and would like you to clarify that which option you exactly need. Did we understand correctly that you want to have button which saves document over existing file from which document is opened? we don’t think this is possible because at that moment document is opened with Acrobat. You have said that you receive some message, which indicates that you already have a variant of the solution that you tried and it is not working. We will appreciate it if you please share your sample project, it will help us to understand your requirement. So we will look into it and will be able to guide you exactly as per your requirement.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,