Segoe UI symbol is rendered as square box after DOCX to RTF conversion using .NET

Hello, DD-3630.zip (54.7 KB)
Here is a zip containing a docx file (segoe_ui_symbol_two.docx), and two rtf files created by converting that docx file, one by Word, one by Aspose.Words (v18.6, but it is the same result in v20.7).
The word rtf is fine, note the second line is in segoe UI symbol, however, the Aspose created rtf displays that text as squares. I had a quick look as to why it should be like this, but it is quite subtle, so I pass this to you, the experts!
Thanks in advance, keep up the good work!
chris

@ChrisStevenson

The input document (segoe_ui_symbol_two.docx) contains the square box. Please check the attached image for detail. input.png (17.4 KB)

Could you please share some more detail about the issue that you are facing? We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

DD-3630.2.zip (150.5 KB)
Hi Tahir,
I have removed that unicode character, it was not relevant to the issue. I attach a zip with updated documents, and an image showing all three files (1. original docx, 2. MS Word saved rtf, 3 Aspose.words saved rtf) to show the difference. I used the latest Aspose.Words v20.7 (evaluation) to produce that rtf file.
Note the Aspose saved rtf has a lot of squares! I think you have enough information :slight_smile: but feel free to ask for more if you need it,
Many thanks
chris

@ChrisStevenson

MS Word 2016 does not show the squares for your shared output RTF. Please check the attached image. RTF.png (25.6 KB)

Please make sure that the font ‘Segoe UI Symbol’ is installed on your system. If you still face problem, please share the MS Word version that you are using.

Hi Tahir,
I have a font file called “Segoe UI Symbol Regular” in the windows\font folder. When I open it, it says it is “Segoe UI Symbol” version 6.23.
My MS Word version is: word 2016 32 bit 16.0.4266.1001.
The file aspose rtf still displays as per this attached png image:
Segoe_three.Aspose.Words.20.7.PNG (36.8 KB)
It’s an interesting issue :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help!
UPDATE: I sent the file to several of my colleagues, and they all had no problem with it :frowning:
Therefore, it’s just me, and you can close this ticket. Thanks for your help!

@ChrisStevenson

Perhaps, this issue is related to MS Word. Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi Tahir,
I have worked out the issue!
Aspose write out the font information as
{\f9\fswiss\fcharset2\fprq2{*\panose 020b0502040204020203}Segoe UI Symbol;}
BUT fcharset 2 says it is a symbol font, but it isn’t really.
Word writes it out as \fcharset0.

Word 2016 believes the font information as given, therefore displays it wrongly,
but Word 365 notices and corrects the charset to 0 (ansi) so it displays correctly.
Hence the differences in rendering with my colleagues.
Anyway, please update your charset for this font - also better check if others with Symbol in the name use the correct charset.
Thanks for all your help!
chris

@ChrisStevenson

We have logged this issue as WORDSNET-20983 in our issue tracking system. You will be notified via this forum thread once there is an update available on this issue. We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-20983) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 20.10 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 20.10 update.