Server-side printing using Windows Graphics- Imaging- and XPS Library

We’re printing from a Windows service with Aspose and the XPS library (WIMGAPI) on Windows Server 2008 x64. We implemented this based on your article “How to Print a Document on a Server via the XpsPrint API”. We need to move to Windows Server 2012 R2. For a server download, I’ve only been able to find the WIMGAPI library download for Windows Server 2008 (Description of the Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library - Microsoft Support). What is my path for migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2?

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your inquiry. You can use the same Aspose.Words code at Windows Server 2012 R2.

Could you please share some more detail about your query what exact the issue you are facing while using Aspose.Words at Windows Server 2012 R2? We will then provide you more information on this.

Can you point me to what I need to install on my Windows Server 2012 r2 server for the XPS API? I’m concerned about installing the KB971512 download on Windows Server 2012 r2, because it’s targeted for Windows Server 2008 x64. Since I understand that the XPS API is deprecated by Microsoft, I want to make sure I don’t mess up anything That’s the issue. I need clarification on how to successfully migrate my Windows Service using Aspose from Windows Server 2008 to 2012 r2.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your inquiry. You can use XpsPrint sample without any installation at Windows Server 2012. XPS Print API is still working in Windows so please continue using it for now.

However, If Microsoft removes XPS Print API completely, we will have to change the code example to send XPS directly to the spooler. We basically then need to write a new module that will use Windows XPS Document API and Document Print API together to create an XPS document and print it. We will keep you informed of any developments on this new module and let you know once it is available. The issue ID for this feature is WORDSNET-10256.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

My question has been resolved. I was assuming (incorrectly) that the XPS library needed to be installed on Windows Server 2012 r2, but it appears to be native to the OS. (I see XpsPrint.dll in C:\Windows\System32.) The guy who did this project originally, documented that the Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS library download for Windows Server 2008 (Description of the Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library - Microsoft Support) needed to be installed. But I was just able to print through my service on Windows Server 2012 without installing this. Thanks.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your feedback. It is nice to hear from you that your problem has been solved. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.