Server-side "pull printing"

Hello,

we have a client-server application where the print jobs of the users are generated and printed by microservice on a backend server. The Aspose.PDF library is already successfully used for this purpose. Now the additional requirement is to support pull printing. The job still has to be sent from the backend service, but the PCL stream should ideally be manipulated in such a way that the printer assumes a job from user XYZ.

Are there any solutions or ideas for this in the library?

Greetings,

Michael

@phreakmania

We need to further investigate this scenario in details. Can you please share some details and complete use case for our reference that we can use at our end in order to further analyze this scenario and address it accordingly.

Okay, I’ll try to be a little more specific.

There is one (let’s call it Print) service running on the server in IIS under the user Service_User_Backend. In addition there are many other services of the application. The frontend runs in the browser on the client computer of the user, let’s call him Mr. John XYZ. An action is started on the client, which causes the print service to generate a PDF. In the C# code, the pdf viewer is used to send the document to the printer.

pdfViewer.Print();

Now all printers in the user’s local network are replaced. A “pull printing” system is used, where the user has to go to the printer after printing and authenticate himself via smart card. Only then the print job gets from the print server to the printer and is printed.

The problem now is, on the client (in the browser, office products, etc.) it works because the logged in Windows user sends the print job. I now need the ability to tell my backend service, please print the document under the user “john.xyz” or “company-domain\john.xyz”.

I hope I was a bit more understandable :wink:

Greetings, Michael

@phreakmania

We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): PDFNET-54919

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.