Side by Side Testing ... Export

Hi,

As I've indicated, I have an interface to MS Project using automation and have an implementation of Aspose.tasks using the same interface.

My expectation is that I get the same results (or as close as possible) from both interfaces on export to MS Project.

I've attached my first serious attempt to compare results. I can see I have a long way to go. Please take a look at the results. (I've attached an MPP, aspose XML, and XML from MPP).

I'm using MS Project 2002 so I also know that the MPP file is ok; the project xml may not be 100% compatable with the XSD for 2007. I will also ensure that the starting settings are exactly the same.

So far I have had trouble setting resource assignment work values which I will dig into a bit more.

Any observations appreciated!!

Regards, Bruce

Hi,

I have now checked the input xml and now find that some values set on the input xml (mpt) are not being passed through to the output.

<InsertedProjectsLikeSummary>1</InsertedProjectsLikeSummary>

The saved value = 0 not 1

<DefaultFixedCostAccrual>3</DefaultFixedCostAccrual>

The saved value is = 1 not 3

Is this because I'm using an MPT as the basis for new projects rather than an XML file?

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Better use xml file as template as not all values reading from each format is suported now. Xml is the best supported format. More over, depending on MS Project version some formats are different, including xml.

Hi,

I think this highlights the importance of being able to read MPP files. MPT files are a common way to start projects and I automatically created one as the basis for new projects.

As I always start with an MPT as the basis for new files or an existing MPP or XML file - pass through of existing settings and data is very important. This provides a lot of user flexibility.

In the short term, I'll do testing with an XML equivalent of the MPT to ensure all xml is passed through or if not it can be explained (element / attribute compatibility rather than file compatibility).

My objective however is MPP or MPT as the starting point and round-trip with MPP and XML.

BTW: is there any reason the traditional xml front matter is not included? (something I need to do?)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
http://schemas.microsoft.com/project">

Regards, Bruce

Hi,

I've switched to using an XML file for new projects and now cannot read the XML file. Error = 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

I've tried both the converted MPT (2002) to XML (see earlier attachment) and have made this version (see this attachment) compatible with the Project XML XSD as defined for Project 2007. Same error for both.

Can you let me know what is causing the problem with these XML files? The MPT works fine ... however does not import all of the settings.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We need some time to investigate the issue and will get back to you soon.

Hi Bruce,

The problem is because you have used more early version then MS Office Project 2003 for the file conversion. It is not MS Project 2007 (Save version value should be 12).

Unfortunately, Aspose Tasks does not provide backword compatibility for xml reading despite of the xml is a valid MS Project 2007 xml. In this case the resource’s subelement ‘BookingType’ is required. It is a new element for MS Project 2003.

I have converted your xml using MS Office Project 2003 and 2007. Aspose.Tasks can read these files. See them in attachments.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the analysis you have done and the files. I have tested MSP2003 XML and it works fine. The result also opens using MSP 2002.

From a compatibility point of view, if I use the MSP2003 XML for new files, will 2003 and 2007 be able to read them? (specifically, will 2007 read 2003 xml).

Once the file is saved by either 2003 or 2007, Aspose.Tasks will be able to use either format.

Many thanks for these files..

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I think, MS Office Project 2007 will always read correctly xml saved by MS Office Project 2003. At least, I have not had any problem with it.

Not so sure for backward compatibility. For example, you can have problem with baseline elements (can lost some info). And, of course, you will lost all information stored in new MS Project 2007 elements.

Hi,

Using 2.3.0.1, here are more results of Side By Side Testing.

Export to MSP 2003 using Automation: created

EventDP2Test021.MPP - (file created with automation - 2003)

Saved this file as: EventDP2Test021.xml

Export to Aspose.Tasks XML file: Created:

EventDP2Test030.XML

Moved one task: and saved using MSP 2003

EventDP2Test031.xml (saved xml using 2003 from EventDP2Test030.xml)

EventDP2Test031.mpp (saved using 2003)

I'm investigating a number of items:

1) Extended Attributes for Tasks and Resources have a UID. I cannot see a way to add it? Is the UID important?

2) Some of the actual dates do not seem to be coming through?

There are some items MSP adds that are not in the Aspose.Tasks XML.

I'll continue looking at the data tomorrow afternoon.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the data you have provided us. I will try to analyze it from my side.

The extended attributes reading from mpp files are still under development, so you can have some problem here. Hope to resolve it soon.

Hi,

I've made some progress on Extended Attributes.

Once I found there was a leading space in the EAD FieldID, I used TRIM to remove the space from both EA and EAD FieldID in comparisons.

Now I'm able to Import and match tasks with Text30. I'll now move on to 'Round Trip Editing' tests.

Many thanks!! More later..

Regards, Bruce

Hi,

A quick update ... I have found the source of the extra space and have determined that the EAD Element Type is not being set / saved so I now set this after load the project for the EAD I use.

The result is that Extended Attributes seem to be working ok. The area I'm now showing differences is work ... I'll investigate this next.

I've attached test results of a round trip. Round trip = an import to the app followed by an export from the app with no changes made within the application. I would not expect any differences between input and output.

I started with a copy of the saved MS Project 2003 XML file: EventDP2Test021.XML

Import and Export done using: EventDP2Test021CleanRT00.xml

Is there a reason that the front XML statements are not retained:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
http://schemas.microsoft.com/project">

There are a few other items I cannot explain ... yet. Any help or thoughts appreciated ..

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The complete Extended Attributes support (texts,
costs, durations and so on) has to be added and completely tested with the next
2.4.0 release.

What is about xml header and namespace. Despite of the
fact that, they are not required for xml to be processed by MS Office Project
correctly, they are required for the xml to have a good style.

So the issue ‘Adding of standart xml header and namespace
info into xml while exporting.
’ has been created and linked to the forum’s
thread.

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. I'll continue to test the differences in the work numbers (though at a slower pace). If you would like me to test any interim versions, please let me know. I'll turn around test results ASAP for an interim version.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We are going to make an official Aspose.Tasks 2.4.0 release until end of the year. Hope to include as more updates into it as possible.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 12860) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for JasperReports 18.3 update.