Signature of 7z container does no match

Hi, I am getting the error Signature of 7z container does no match. when I open the 7z file in c# using apose zip v 23.7.0

I can open in 7 zip howeverDevices.7z (104.9 KB)

Hello @mikethelad007007, 7-zip tells that your archive is compressed with “MsLZ” method and displays warning. mslz.png (5.5 KB)

Such compression method is not a part of 7z format. Archive you send me is not a 7z archive and can’t be opened using SevenZipArchive class - it is mslz archive.
If you rename it to Devices.mslz, 7-zip would open it smoothly without warning. 7-zip tool recognize supported format even with wrong extension.

I did not hear about mslz format before, it seems to be rare. But we might consider supporting such format in Aspose.ZIP.
How have you composed it? Do you need to extract such archives in your .NET application?

Thanks for your reply, 7 Zip does open this file fine either as .7z or .mslz

It is an export from a fire alarm panel.

Yes I need to extract from a .Net application

We are ready to add mslz support. However, there are two considerations:

1. The license of mslz does not allow to use it in commercial products. We’ve contacted author to inquire whether he will republish the sources with a more permissive license. He has not responded yet. We can’t proceed without his permission.

2. If the licensing issue is resolved, you will need a licensed version of the Aspose.ZIP in order to extract those archives.

We’ll let you know when and if the author answers.

Thanks, I have solved this by using PeaZip

Is the mslz format planned to work, I have installed version 23.10.0 and stil get the error, the use of peazip whilst works is not a clean solution

Hello Mike,

mslz format extractor – mscompress tool – has GNU GPL v2 license. As I mentioned, I contacted its author, Martin Hinner, asking for republication with more permissive license that fits Aspose.ZIP product. I’ve got no answer; not even sure he received my email.

Here is his personal page - http://martin.hinner.info/ May be it makes sense for you to contact him with the same inquiry referring this topic?
If we’ll have permission, we can include such format in our product within a version.
Let us know what will you do.

Thank you.