Solving memory problems in Aspose.Words

I had to solved an ‘out of memory’ problem with Aspose.Words on a clients computer the other day and I think this will help other people.

They were appending together about a thousand Word documents (none more than 2 megs) and they got an ‘out of memory’ error when saving it on a powerful Windows 2003 32 bit server with 4 gigs of ram.

All of this worked fine on my own personal laptop and on our qa server.

It turns out they had a small Windows paging file (1000 megs) and limited disk space (2 gigs free).

Changing the windows paging file on their server to System managed and increasing the disk space to 9 gigs fixed the problem on their server.

I have done another test on our server by doubling those documents. This test works on my personal laptop, but fails on our qa server.

This is a 32 bit application, but my personal laptop is running Windows 7 64 bit. With windows 7 64 bit I can make an unlimited paging file (it needed 8 gigs of paging file to process these documents).

With 32 bit windows you can only make it 4 gig, but you can also make multiple paging files and it runs better if it isn’t on the system drive, so I could probably play with this and make it work.

Or if they want to do really gigantic files, I can just tell them they need to be on a 64 bit server os and I just need to make sure they have plenty of disk space and a system managed paging file.

I hope this helps someone!

Hi David,

We always admire the positive feedback and active participation from our customers. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.