Sorting Performance

It's me, performance monster again. I notice when sorting certain fields your control is very fast but while sorting others its quite quite slow. Dates and Numbers all seems to be fine, and text that does not repeat seems to be fine. But when I sort fields that often have the same data in multiple rows it seems to drastically slow down.

I'm currently sorting 501 rows in less than a second for numbers, dates, and non-repeating text (things like a name). But when I sort on a string field that has data that is likely to repeat (say category types) it can take upwards of 30 seconds. That's a pretty big contrast, any ideas why this might be happening?

Hi,

Could you create a sample test project and post here to show it. We will check it and figure out soon.

Thank you.

I can’t really create a project that demonstrates this, but I think I can explain why the one non-number/date column is being sorted more quickly than the others. It is already sorted in the initial data grid so there is less data to re-order, which would make it return faster.

I’m already getting users complaints about the sorting speed on non-number/date fields. Would it be possible to look into enhancing the performance of this? Do you know what type of sort algorithm is being done on this? Sorting a dataset of this data takes a fraction of the time in comparison to letting the control do it.

Hi,

We will look into it and try to enhance the sorting performance of the textual data soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

When sorting with text field, the control tries to parse the text if they are a number or datetime string. So it will be slow. We will think it over and improve the sorting performance soon.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Has there been any progress on this issue? I am experiencing the same performance problems when sorting columns containing text. This will be a big issue for my users if I go live with this control.

Thanks.

Hi,

Could you try the latest 1.9.3 version of Aspose.Grid.Web in which we did enhance some performance factrors.

Thank you.

Hi,

We will provide this enhancement at the next release. Thank you for being patient.