Stream support

It appears we cannot open a Stream from the VectorLayer API, only file paths This is a blocker problem in our deployment, because we use the Azure cloud hosting solution and cannot open files from the file system. Instead, for example, we retrieve files from Azure Blob storage which only supports a Stream interface.

Note, your marketing bullets claim you do support streams: “Load existing GIS files from stream or file path” See - GIS API for .NET

When will Aspose.GIS support streams?

@mvierling2,

Thanks for your query.

You are right. I am afraid, the feature (Open layer from stream) may not be supported as there is no overload for Open method of VectorLayer.Open which uses streams. A ticket is logged with an id “GISNET-299” for your demanded feature. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know here.

We are eagerly awaiting this as well. Hopefully it shouldn’t be to hard, as when you load a file in c#; you’re creating a stream anyway. It should just be a matter of downcasting FileStream to stream and then using a StreamReader. This way you can pass any stream.

One potential roadblock for this feature is that ESRI shapefiles actually consist of multiple files with extension, “shx”, “shp”, “db” and some others. In order to handle this, the API will need to accept an array of Streams.

I’ll mention again that not supporting Streams is a serious limitation for code deployed in Azure, since Azure code does not have access to any local or remote file system and thus cannot use file paths. Code written for Azure almost always access file data via Streams.

We would really appreciate this feature!

@itapplicationsteam,

We will look into it soon.

@mvierling2,

We understand your concerns and importance of the feature. Please spare us time as we will investigate/analyse the feature thoroughly.

Once we have any new information, we will share it with you.

We are pleased to inform you that the ticket (logged earlier “GISNET-299”) has been resolved. You can expect the feature/fix will be included into our upcoming regular release, i.e., Aspose.GIS for .NET v19.3.

Once we publish the release, you will be notified about it here.

@mvierling2, @itapplicationsteam,
Aspose.GIS for .NET v19.3 is now published. Please refer to Streams and Remote Storage article in the Developer Guide for more details.
Please let me know whether this solves your issue.