Support for extracting paths from TIFF and PSD (C# .NET)

Hi,
I have some files (TIFF + JPEG + PSD) which contain clipping path from photoshop in “image resource blocks”.
How can I extract the different paths and use it to create an alpha channel?

Thanks.

Best Regards
Yahia

@it-yeq,

I have observed the issue shared by you and request you to please share the requirements in the form of sample image and snapshot.

Hi,

thanks for your questions…

Paths are used as a high-quality way to isolate specific objects within an image… there can be any number of paths… one of them can be marked as “clipping path” which tells certain applications (like Adobe InDesign…) that this specific path should be used by default.

A path consists basically of bezier curves and similar… Adobe specification see https://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/#50577409_17587

From my experience JPEG, TIFF, PSD and EPS (raster) files can contain paths.

Attached you find a TIFF with 2 paths in it.

Regarding requirements:
Getting a list of paths in an image and being able to manipulate (add/remove/modify path and its name).
Getting the information whether a path is marked as clipping path and its name.
Being able to extract a clipping path (based on its name) and use it as selection or scale it and copy it over to another image etc.
The clipping path should be transformed together with the image for example when rotating the image.

Thanks.

Best Regards
Yahia

@it-yeq,

We have investigated the requirements on our end. I think the JPEG and TIFF doesn’t have path as a part of specification. So that is why we don’t support for these format. However, for PSD format, I will share the updates with you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your feedback.

The file I attached is a TIFF and has paths.
The paths in TIFF are stored in so-called “image resource blocks” (contained in TIFF Tag 34377) - this is described in the Adobe-Link I posted.

I attached the same image again in JPEG format, the paths are contained there too…
TestImagePaths.jpg (980.7 KB)

Best Regards
Yahia

@it-yeq,

Can you please confirm if you have shared TIFF file with paths with us? I have not found that attached any where. Can you please share that so that we may check on our end based on that.

Hi, the first upload did not work…
Now I attached a ZIP with the TIFF in it.

Best Regards
Yahia

TestImagePaths.zip (5.1 MB)

@it-yeq,

We have investigated the TIFF file shared and regret to share that at present the support for extracting paths from TIFF is unavailable in API. An issue with ID IMAGINGNET-3731 has been created as new feature request to provide the support. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the support will be available.

Thank you very much - looking forward to this :slight_smile:

Do you have any “ballpark idea” regarding timing of this?

@it-yeq,

I like to share that this is mew feature request and has just been added in our issue tracking system. We will share the good news with you as soon as the support will be available in API.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as IMAGINGNET-3731) have been fixed in this update.