Text Search not working in Acrobat

When performing a pdf text search in Acrobat by clicking on the Search button (binoculars), the search returns incorrect results.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks.

Hello Paulette,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

Can you please share some details on how you are generating the PDF document ? Which component of Aspose you are using to generate the PDF document ?

We apologize for your inconvenience.

We are using Aspose PDF 4.5. Let me know if you need more information.

Paulette

Hello Paulette,

Thanks for the information.

Can you please share the code snippet/sample project so that we can test the scenario at our end. More along, please share some information regarding your working environment i.e. Operating System, .NET framework version etc.

PS, Please do not forget to share the resultant PDF that you have generated which is causing issues.

Hello,

We use .Net version 3.5, Windows 2003 and I’ve attached a sample. I will send you some code snippet later.

Thanks.

Hello Paulette,

Thanks for sharing the resource document.

I have tried searching some text while using Adobe Reader 7.0.0 and as per my observations, the search results are correct. I have performed search for the following strings

• Reserves
  • Black
  • Comments
  • Gold

Can you please share which software you are using to display the PDF document and what specific strings you are searching for which you are facing problem.

PS, I have noticed some issues while searching some text i.e. OWNER, COMPANY over the first page but still I would like to know what exact text you are trying to search. Also please share the code snippet that can help us in reproducing a similar error prone document.

Hi,

How were you searching for text, using Ctrl + F or the Search button (Binoculars)? Ctrl + F seems to work but NOT the SEARCH button.

I was searching for the words Minesearch and Black. Attached is a C# file.

Thanks.

Hello Paulette,

Thanks for sharing the information and code snippet. I have tried searching "Minesearch and Black" word over document by using Search button and as per my observations, the search is properly being performed. Can you please take a look over the attached image files that show the search results. In case I am still missing something, please let me know. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi,

I noticed that you’re using Adobe Reader. Can you try opening my pdf using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard?

Thanks,

Hello Paulette,

In my earlier test, I used Adobe Reader 7.1.0 to display the document and have performed search over it. Now I have tried viewing the document using Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and the search results seem to be correct. However, I will again test the scenario using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and will share my results.

Hello Paulette,

I have again tried searching "Minesearch and Black" strings while using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and as per my observations, the search results are properly being displayed. I have used Search button (binoculars) to perform this operation. Please take a look over the attached resultant screenshots.

Please share that you have created the PDF document and have performed the search over Windows Server 2003 edition or have used different operating systems ?

It would really be great if you could share come screenshots of search problem that you are facing and also please share the sample code snippet that can help us in replicating this problem at our end. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi,

Please see attached screen showing incorrect search results. Yes we are using Windows Server 2003.

Have you tried searching using Adobe Acrobat Standard?

I have already sent you a code snippet in a previous reply.

Thanks.

Hi again,

Ctrl + F does not work in Adobe Acrobat Reader 9. Can you confirm?

Also, the Search functionality does not work in Adobe Writer 7. I received the error: "Because document was modified since last search…"

Thanks,
Paulette

Hello Paulette,

Thanks for the information and image files.

I have again tested the scenario over Windows 2003 Standard with SP2 and I am unable to notice the problem in either of the following approach.

• Search using Adobe Reader 9.1 while pressing CTRL+F and also by directly entering the keyword in search field.
  • Search using Adobe Acrobat Professional 7 while pressing CTRL+F and by using Binoculars.

I am afraid currently I don't have Adobe Acrobat Standard installed. I will my level best to install it and test the scenario over it. Meanwhile, please take a look over the attached image files showing the search results in both the cases.

I am still not sure what might be causing the issue at your end. We apologize for your inconvenience.