This document contains a group shape and it is not currently supported

Hi Roman,
Any chance of supporting these?

I’m using 1.6.7 at the moment.

Best regards
Steve

Sure, I was just trying to defer it as long as possible until someone requests it. It is just not very straightforward technically because of internal shape ids. Estimated delivery mig August.

Hi Roman,
No problem.

I have worked around it for the moment by converting it to an embedded GIF. In our scenario we have more control over what people upload…

Could a conversion routine in Aspose.Word be a quick fix? Does MS Word store a BMP rendered alternative? It would at least be better than the error.

Is there anyway of making these things non-fatal? ie Just exclude them from the final document?

We’d still need some way of knowing why they were excluded - an extra member function IsDocumentCompatible() method.

Best regards
Steve

HI romank,

I’m evaluating Aspose.Word in order to be adopted as standard library across our
company: unfortunately I got the
"This document contains a group shape and it is not currently supported."
exception with many word documents. Is there any snapshot hotfix
with these feature enabled?

Thanks in advance.

We will support group shapes in the near future. For the time being, if you can select that group shape and Ungroup it - it will help to work around the problem.

how can i ungroup

Romank,

we have over 10000 MSWord documents in our library. So we cannot manually open every document to check for group-shape and then ungroup. I'm evaluating Aspose.Word on randomly selected file. Is there any way to automate the ungroup process?

Regards
vagamond

We will just have to implement support for group shapes.

Do you intend to move/copy or mail merge parts of the documents that contain group shapes? If not, then we can release a fix pretty quickly. It is more difficult for us when the group shapes get copied or duplicated because they employ some tricky id numbering techniques.

We need just to save it to XML in order to convert to PDF. If you have a quick fix for evaluation purposes, I'll try it!

Thanks in advance
vagamond

Right click on the group shape in the document, select Grouping / Ungroup.

It is probably possible to write a simple VBA macro that automatically goes all over the shapes in the document and ungroups them. Such a macro can even be written to automatically iterate all over the existing documents in a folder and ungroup all shapes in all of them.

Let me know if you would be interested in using such a macro as a work around and I might be able to get someone here to write it for you.

Romank,

we are planning to buy more than one Aspose.Word license (my company has 10000+ employees), but I must produce a Working Demo for Independent User Acceptance Test purposes. I think that the work-around is needed, otherwise Aspose.Word will not pass UAT.

Regards
vagamond

Thanks, I will make sure we have a solution promptly.

SteveHurcombe wrote:
Hi Roman,
No problem.

I have worked around it for the moment by converting it to an embedded GIF. In our scenario we have more control over what people upload...

Could a conversion routine in Aspose.Word be a quick fix? Does MS Word store a BMP rendered alternative? It would at least be better than the error.

Is there anyway of making these things non-fatal? ie Just exclude them from the final document?

We'd still need some way of knowing why they were excluded - an extra member function IsDocumentCompatible() method.

Best regards
Steve

Hi,
I would also like such a method, or any way of dealing with this groupshape problem.
Thanks,
Guus.

Romank,

I wrote the following simple VBA Macro
to ungroup all the shapes in the document:

Sub ungroupall()ActiveDocument.Shapes.SelectAll Selection.ShapeRange.Ungroup.Select End Sub

but
1) Some shapes in my word document were misplaced;
2) I got the <<Item has already been added.
Key in dictionary: "4" Key being added: "4" >> error
with the following stack trace:
[ArgumentException: Item has already been added.
Key in dictionary: "4" Key being added: "4"]
System.Collections.SortedList.Add(Object key, Object value)+221
Aspose.Escher.o.a(BinaryReader A_0, Int32 A_1)
Aspose.Escher.n.a(BinaryReader A_0)
Aspose.Escher.al.a(ag A_0, BinaryReader A_1)
Aspose.Escher.i.a(BinaryReader A_0)
Aspose.Escher.e.a(BinaryReader A_0, Int32 A_1)
Aspose.Escher.am.a(BinaryReader A_0)
Aspose.Escher.ae.a(BinaryReader A_0, Int32 A_1)
Aspose.Escher.ae..ctor(BinaryReader tableStreamReader, Int32 dggInfoOffset, Int32 dggInfoLength)
Aspose.Word.File.a9.a(ao A_0)
Aspose.Word.Document.a(ao A_0)
Aspose.Word.Document..ctor(String fileName)
Aspose.Word.Word.Open(String fileName)
Aspose.Word.Demos.Northwind.OpenDoc(String fileName)
in C:\Programmi\Aspose\Aspose.Word\Demos\Aspose.Word.Demos\Northwind.aspx.cs:211
Aspose.Word.Demos.Northwind.CreateInvoiceFromDataTables()
in C:\Programmi\Aspose\Aspose.Word\Demos\Aspose.Word.Demos\Northwind.aspx.cs:129
Aspose.Word.Demos.Northwind.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
in C:\Programmi\Aspose\Aspose.Word\Demos\Aspose.Word.Demos\Northwind.aspx.cs:53
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Do you have any advise????

Regards
vagamond

I’ll do a quick fix in one-two days.

Group shapes are now supported in Aspose.Word 1.7.9.

Just to thank you and to tell that we decided to buy Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf

Regards