Total.Net and Total.java completely the same in terms of functionality?

I am evaluating Aspose for a project. I have to decide between Total .Net or Total Java version.

If I use the .Net vesion I need to acquire some new Windows Servers. However, if I can use Java version, I already have the servers in place. So I prefer Java version.

My concern is that there may be some functionality that only works on Windows.

So my question is: Are there things I can do in the .Net version that are not available in the java versions, or are they completely the same in terms of functionality?

Thanks!

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

I am a representative from Aspose.Pdf team. Currently we have a product named Aspose.Pdf for .NET which provides the capability to Create/Manipulate/Edit existing PDF documents. It also provides the capability to transform PDF files into various output formats including .doc, html, XPS, TXT etc. However we have a product named Aspose.Pdf for Java which provides the capability to create PDF documents from scratch when working in Java environment whereas we have a product named Aspose.Pdf.Kit for Java which provides the capability to manipulate existing PDF documents when working in Java environment.

Earlier we also used to have separate products to create and manipulate existing PDF files over .NET environment but later on we prepared a merged release version, so now this single product provides these capabilities. We are working on porting Aspose.Pdf for .NET code into Java version using https://www.codeporting.com/ so all the features currently being offered in Aspose.Pdf for .NET will also become available in Java version. As soon as the new merged version becomes available, we would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction.

Besides this, please note that we have Aspose.Words for Java which is ported from Aspose.Words for .NET using CodePorting so both versions offer the same set of features.

Likewise, we also have ported Aspose.Cells for .NET into Java version and now both products offer the same set of features.

Recently we have ported the code of Aspose.Barcode for .NET into Java version and both versions provide same set of features.

Please have a look over ShowCase to see the products which have been ported from .NET to Java, using CodePorting.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I need to know if Words .NEt and Words.Java have exactly the same capabilities (or if it would be "safer" to use one over the other). I have the same question for slides too.

So are you saying they are exactly the same, so it doesn't matter which one I pick (Java or .Net version) they have completely the same capabilities?

Sorry to be so specific, but I need to make a decision and I only get one shot at it.

Thanks very much.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for sharing the details.

I have intimated my fellow workers from respective teams team to answer these queries. Soon you will be updated with the required information. Please be patient and spare us little time.

Hi Bernie,

I am representing Aspose.Slides and thanks for you inquiry.

I like to share that presently there is difference in terms of functionalities between Aspose.Slides for .NET and Aspose.Slides for Java. However, we have a work in progress for developing an Aspose.Slides for Java version that has equivalent functionality and have developed an auto porting activity for this. The auto ported version is expected to be released by end of September 2012. Currently, the features like Charts rendering, SmartArt rendering (to some extent), presentation protection and PPT to PPTX conversions are available in Aspose.Slides for .NET but not in Aspose.Slides for Java. However, as shared earlier, from September 2012 and onward product release both Aspose.Slides for .NET and Java will be on the same page in terms of features.

Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your inquiry. I am representative of Aspose.Words team.

Please note that the latest version of Aspose.Words for JAVA is completely auto-ported from .NET; i.e. we do not write code for Aspose.Words for JAVA. It is generated out automatically from C# code of Aspose.Words for .NET. So, there should not be any significant difference in functionalities between JAVA and .NET versions because the code is mostly the same.

Moreover, there are a few limitations when it comes to Aspose.Words for JAVA when compared to the .NET platform. You can find a table of these here: http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/Known+Issues+in+Aspose.Words+for+Java

If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your patience.

I am pleased to share that an autoported MergedAPI release version of Aspose.Pdf for Java 4.0.0 has been released. Please try using the latest release version and in case you encounter any issue or you have any related query, please feel free to contact.