We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Track Changes view when saving as PDF

I know there’s an open dev ticket (7674) for showing the tracked changes view when saving to a PDF, there has been for several years. As of the 2011.09.30 release this is still not fixed. Any update on the status of this issue? Also, if it’s not marked as such, there is a bigger problem with this I believe, the resulting PDF shows BOTH the inserted and deleted text without any revisions. So you’re neither seeing the original, nor the final, but some bizarre hybrid of the two versions without any notification of revisions. I’ll attached 3 docs to this issue, the docx, the PDF we get, and the PDF we want.

Hello

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks for your request. To hide revisions in the document, you should just accept all revisions in the document before converting it to PDF. Please see the following code:

// Open document.<o:p></o:p>

Document doc = new Document(“in.doc”);<o:p></o:p>

// Accept all revisions in the document.<o:p></o:p>

doc.AcceptAllRevisions();<o:p></o:p>

// Save output as PDF.<o:p></o:p>

doc.Save(“out.pdf”);

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, currently there is no way to render comments and revision marks using Aspose.Words. In one of future versions of Aspose.Words we will consider adding an ability to show revisions and comments in the rendered documents (PDF, XPS, SWF, Image). Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. We will let you know once this feature is available.

Best regards,

With all due respect, that’s the same answer you’ve been giving for several years. Can you provide any update on the timeline? Is it close? Is it difficult? Are you just stringing us along and we should look for alternatives?

Hello

Thanks for your request.We do have a feature request to Support revision marks upon rendering/converting to PDF. But at the moment it is not scheduled for implementation yet. We might schedule it later, but I cannot promise at this stage.

Best regards,

Too bad – would really like to see that change implemented.
In the mean time I’ve implemented code to prevent my users from attempting to save-as-pdf any docs that have tracked changes. Not ideal, but better than the alternatives.
Sorry if I was snarky earlier, just hadn’t had enough coffee. :slight_smile:

Hi Walden,

Thanks for your inquiry.

We will inform you as soon as there are any developments.

In the mean time you may want to try the following work around to at least have insert and delete revisions appear close to how they look in MS Word: http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/324631/converting-document-with-tracked-changes-to-pdf/showthread.aspx#324631

Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-2120) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(44)

Can you point us to Documentation or examples showing how to enable this now please?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please refer to the following section of the documentation which outlines everything you need to know about the topic ‘Manage Tracking Changes’.
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsnet/Manage+Tracking+Changes

Please let us know if you need more information; we are always glad to help you.

Best regards,

The documentation says all I need to do is add doc.AcceptAllRevisions(); to my code and then when I export to PDf the changes will show in the PDF?

Hi Steve,

Yes, that’s correct; the Document.AcceptAllRevisions method is a shortcut for RevisionCollection.AcceptAll method which accepts all ‘tracked changes’ in the document. Similarly, the RevisionCollection.RejectAll method rejects all revisions in the document. However, in both cases, the output PDF document won’t display revision marks.

PS: When you save a Document with revisions to PDF format without calling any of the above methods, the revision marks will remain intact in the output document.

Best regards,

I still don't get the revision marks see my code below, any ideas what I am missing?

// load file
var doc = new Document(loadFileName);

// PDF save options
var options = new PdfSaveOptions();
options.Compliance = PdfCompliance.Pdf15;

options.JpegQuality = 80;
options.SaveFormat = SaveFormat.Pdf;

// get save filename
string pdfFileName = fileName.Replace(fileExtension, “pdf”);
string PDF_File = “PDF_File”;
var saveFileName = filePath.Replace(“CAD_File”, PDF_File) + pdfFileName;

// save to PDF
doc.Save(saveFileName, options);

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please attach your 1) input Word document, 2) output PDF file showing the undesired behaviour and 3) expected PDF document here for testing. It would be great if you also attach a screenshot for our reference. I will investigate the issue further and provide you more information.

PS: you can generate your expected PDF document by using Microsoft Word.

Best regards,

Will do thanks my current samples are confidential so I will have to generate some with the same characteristics.

Steve