UnsupportedOperationException in Aspose.PDF for java on IBM z/OS server

When i try to add a new Line to a textparagraph to a pdf page in Aspose.PDF for java 21.9 i get an java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError caused by java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException.

The exception only occurs on our IBM z/OS server, at local machine everything works fine for me.

Is this a known or new issue or do we just forgot some configuration settings?

Stacktrace:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.ensureError(J9VMInternals.java:145)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.recordInitializationFailure(J9VMInternals.java:134)
at com.aspose.pdf.FontRepository.lI(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.FontRepository.getLocalFontPaths(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v.l0l(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v.lc(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v.lv(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v.lI(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v$2.lI(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v$2.lI(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l14y.lI.lb(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l6if.l0v.lj(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.FontRepository.findFont(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.TextStamp.getDefaultFont(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.TextParagraph.appendLine(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unsupported Platform, pid: 10
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l22k.l0p.lI(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l26u.lh.lf(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l26u.lh.lt(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l26u.lh.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.pdf.internal.l26u.lh.(Unknown Source)
… 34 more

@JUSITDat

You are facing this issue due to missing of fonts on the machine where you are using Aspose.PDF for Java. Please install the fonts used in your input PDF on your machine to avoid the shared issue.

Sorry for the late response. I have checked your hint but i dont think that the issue is caused by a missing font. In this specific code i want to create a new pdf and add a new paragraph to the first page. For this i set the font to ‘Arial’ which is definetly on our machine. (We also use this font via Aspose.Words). When a font is missing Aspose throws a com.aspose.pdf.exceptions.FontNotFoundException: Font xyz was not found.

It seems that there is a generally problem for Aspose.PDF when searching for the specified font on our machine.

@JUSITDat

The stack trace shows that the FontRepository.findFont cause the exception. Please make sure sure that the fonts used in your PDF are installed on your machine.

If you still face problem, please create a sample application (source code without compilation errors) that helps us to reproduce your problem on our end and attach it here for testing. Please also share your input PDF file. We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

@tahir.manzoor

The stack trace also shows that the method FontRepository.findFont calls the method FontRepository.getLocalFontPaths. When i try to simply call this method as you can see in the following line of code, i get the same Exception on our IBM z/OS.

List paths = FontRepository.getLocalFontPaths();

So it seems that the issue already occurs when Aspose.PDF tries to get the local font paths for IBM z/OS systems.

@JUSITDat

We have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as PDFJAVA-41182. You will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

@tahir.manzoor

Thanks for this info. When can we expect a solution for this issue? Or is there any way to see the progress of this issue on my own in your tracking system?

We will finish the implementation of our software in the next weeks, but unfortunately we can’t publish it until this issue is solved.

@JUSITDat

We try our best to deal with every customer request in a timely fashion, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a delivery date to every customer issue. We work on issues on a first come, first served basis. We feel this is the fairest and most appropriate way to satisfy the needs of the majority of our customers.

Currently, your issue is pending for analysis and is in the queue. Once we complete the analysis of your issue, we will then be able to provide you an estimate.

Please note that our issue tracking system is not public. However, you can see the status of issue at the right bottom of this forum thread as shown in attached image. status.png (13.0 KB)

@tahir.manzoor

I checked the status this morning and now i am confused about the current status. What does ‘blocked’ means for us and a possible solution for this issue?

@JUSITDat

Your issue is related to another internal issue. After the fix of this issue, we will look into your issue. We will be sure to inform you via this forum thread as soon as your issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFJAVA-41182) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for Java 22.2.