UpdateFields:Infinite Loop on Document containing Footnote - in some cases

A document has a footnote in a cell in a table. If this footnote cannot be rendered on the same page in Word, but shows on the following page, UpdateFields never finishes. It seems to be stuck. The thread’s CPU is at 100% and it keeps consuming more and more RAM.
I have a sample document that can duplicate the issue. This is an issue in 22.6, but has been resolved in 22.7. In the sample document, in Word, if you remove the line that says “Remove this!!” so that the footnote is on the same page, the issue goes away and UpdateFields happens very quickly.
I don’t see a way to attach the file in the “Create a new Topic” area.

@mmsemaj You can simply drag and drop the file into the message area to attach the file. Please zip your document before attaching.

Document should be attached. Interesting note with the attached file: in Word, the footnote appears on the second page, but if I edit the footer, the page rearranges itself and the footnote shows on the correct page. Saving that, the new document works with Aspose 22.6.
DocumentWithFootnote_UpdateFieldsIssue.zip (79.6 KB)

@mmsemaj Thank you for additional information. But, unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem on my side. I have used the following code for testing:

Document doc = new Document(@"C:\Temp\in.docx");
doc.UpdateFields();
doc.Save(@"C:\Temp\out.pdf");

The latest 22.8 version of Aspose.Words for .NET is used for testing on my side.

Yep. It’s fixed in 22.8. I wanted to offer the document as something to test with in the future. It was an odd issue.

Thanks!

1 Like

@mmsemaj Ok, thank you for sharing the problematic document with us.