Various PDF to image questions

Hi

I am testing Aspose PDF utility. The main purpose is to convert a PDF document into images. So far, I am using the PDF to PNG example and this works. However, I have the following questions:

1. This line, loResolution = New Aspose.Pdf.Devices.Resolution(10), no matter the value I put, the file size is always the same. So, I assume this setting does not work in the evaluation version. Is that correct?

2. In order to get the PNG files as small as possible, is there a setting to convert the PDF into PNG in grayscale, black & white, or half tone, for example? Our PDF are only text in black & white. So, I am wondering if there is the ability to have smaller file sizes.

3. Your pricing page lists this utility at 799.00$. This is for one year. Is that 799.00$ for one year of free upgrade and the utility will continue to run after. And, then, if we need to get a newer version, we would have to pay an extra when time comes? Or, is it that in order to keep the product licensed, we need to pay 799.00$ every year?

Hi Michel,

Thanks for using our API’s.

The Resolution class provides the feature to set resolution for resultant image. However using the API in trial mode might not be generating appropriate resultants. Therefore in order to test the API without any limitations, you may consider requesting a 30 days temporary license by following instructions specified over Get a temporary license

mfournier-1:

1. In order to get the PNG files as small as possible, is there a setting to convert the PDF into PNG in grayscale, black & white, or half tone, for example? Our PDF are only text in black & white. So, I am wondering if there is the ability to have smaller file sizes.
    In order to reduce size of resultant file, you may specify lower Resolution value.

mfournier-1:

1. Your pricing page lists this utility at 799.00$. This is for one year. Is that 799.00$ for one year of free upgrade and the utility will continue to run after. And, then, if we need to get a newer version, we would have to pay an extra when time comes? Or, is it that in order to keep the product licensed, we need to pay 799.00$ every year?
    A license is valid for one year from the date of purchase and during the license validity period, you can upgrade to latest release versions published before the license expiry date. However once the license is expired, you cannot use versions released after Expiry date but you can use API version covered under license, for as long as you want. You do not need to pay for annual subscription if particular product release is fulfilling your requirements.

Thanks

I will request a 30-day license as I need to make sure this setting works whenever I change the value.

Also, since we are only using the PDF to PNG conversion functionality of the product, is there a lower end product we can purchase which will cost less?

Hi

I obtained a 30-day license.

I pass the license and I can see it generates with no red line for the evaluation notice. So, this demonstrates that the full version is being used.

However, the resolution setting still does not apply. Can you see what is wrong in that code:

loResolution = New Aspose.Pdf.Devices.Resolution(100)

loPngDevice = New Aspose.Pdf.Devices.PngDevice(nWidth, nHeight, loResolution)

loPngDevice.Process(loDocument.Pages(lnCounter), loFileStream)

Or, is it possible the resolution does not apply to a PNG?

Hi

I pass the license and I can see it generates with no red line for the evaluation notice. So, this demonstrates that the full version is being used.

However, the resolution setting still does not apply. Can you see what is wrong in that code:

mfournier-1:
Hi

Hi Michel,

Thanks for sharing the details.

<span style=“font-size:10.0pt;font-family:“Arial”,“sans-serif””>I
have tested the scenario and I am able to reproduce the same problem. For the
sake of correction, I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFNEWNET-38200. We will
investigate this issue in details and will keep you updated on the status of a
correction. <o:p></o:p>

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi

We are waiting for this bug to be fixed.

Any update?

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your patience.

As we recently have been able to notice this issue, and until or
unless we have investigated and have figured out the actual reasons of this
problem, we might not be able to share any timelines by which this problem will
be resolved.<o:p></o:p>

However, as soon as we have made some significant progress towards the resolution of this issue, we would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time. Your patience and comprehension is greatly appreciated in this regard.

@mfournier-1

In order to get the required resolution, when creating a Pdf.Devices.Png Device object, you should not specify the image dimensions, but only specify the desired resolution.

For example, in the given code line
Dim loPngDevice As Aspose.Pdf.Devices.PngDevice = New Aspose.Pdf.Devices.PngDevice(300, 300, loResolution)
should be replaced by
Dim loPngDevice As Aspose.Pdf.Devices.PngDevice = New Aspose.Pdf.Devices.PngDevice(loResolution)

Otherwise, since the image dimensions are set, the image is formed according to these dimensions and the resolution for this image is the same.