Version 1.0.0.0 vs 4.4.0

I have been using Aspose.BarCode (java) version 1.0.0.0 about 3-4 years. It works pretty good. But several new versions of this library were released and I decided to switch to some new version. I selected the version 4.4.0.

I have test environment platform with 3000 of pdf documents and Aspose.BarCode version 1.0.0.0 recognizes bar codes for all of them. But I was surprised that new version (4.4.0) could not recognize bar code for 547 of these pdf documents. It is example of my code for version 4.4.0:

r = new BarCodeReader(image, BarCodeReadType.getCode39Standard());
while (r.read()) {
barCode = r.getCodeText();
if (barCode!=null)
break;
}
r.close();

After reading of some messages on this forum I added the following line:
r.setHints(RecognitionHints.ImageBinarizationHints.getMedianSmoothing());

It helped but not for all pdfs. Any other playing with hints doesn’t help. I see that the old version (1.0.0.0) works much more better than new (4.4.0). Probably I missed something. Please help.

I attached example of tiff file where bar code is recognized by 1.0.0.0 version and is not recognized by 4.4.0.

Example of java code for version 1.0.0.0:
BufferedInputStream is = new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(imageFile));
Image img = ImageIO.read(is);
BarCodeReader reader = new BarCodeReader(img);
BarCodeInfo[] results = reader.read();
for (BarCodeInfo bci : results) {
System.out.println(bci.getCodeText());
}

and for version 4.4.0:
BufferedInputStream is = new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(imageFile));
BufferedImage img = ImageIO.read(is);
BarCodeReader reader = new BarCodeReader(img, BarCodeReadType.getCode39Standard());
reader.setHints(RecognitionHints.ImageBinarizationHints.getMedianSmoothing());
while (reader.read()) {
System.out.println(reader.getCodeText());
}
is.close();

Hi Robert,

Thank you for bringing this to our knowledge and we are sorry for your inconvenience.

I am able to replicate the problem with latest version of Aspose.BarCode for Java v4.4.0 and your provided image. I have linked this thread to the appropriate ticket (BARCODJAVA-33123) from our bug tracking system for correction purposes. We will soon sort this out and you will be notified via this thread as soon as the fix is available.

I suggest you to use the previous version of Aspose.BarCode for Java v2.7.0 until this issue is resolved.

Thanks and Regards,

Thank you.

I tried Aspose.BarCode for Java v2.7.0, but again there are several examples where bar code is properly recognized by version 1.0.0.0 but is not recognized by version 2.7.0. And adding hint RecognitionHints.ImageBinarizationHints.MedianSmoothing() doesn’t help. Please advise.

I attached one example of such image.

Hi Robert,

We are really sorry for your inconvenience.

I was unable to scan the barcode from your supplied image by using v2.7.0 and the latest v4.4.1. I have recorded my comments by attaching your sample file to the ticket already associated with this thread. Moreover, I have discussed this scanning issue with the development team and I have learnt that the majority of scanning issues are caused due to the presence of skewness in the image. We are currently working on an algorithms that will auto de-skew the barcode label before feeding it to the BarCodeReader for recognition process.

I suggest you not to upgrade your component till these scanning issues are resolved. I will keep you posted with updates on this.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your patience.

Just to let you know that I have attached this thread to another ticket (BARCODENET-33167) with higher priority. Also note that the new ticket has been logged in .NET space because the latest version of .NET product can not recognize the barcode from your shared samples. Once the issue is fixed in .NET version, the improvements will automatically propagate to Java product.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODENET-33167) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.