Very Slow Initialization of PresentationEx Object with Certain Source PPTX Files

I am currently evaluating Aspose.Slides .NET 7.5.1. For most sample PPTX presentation files I have tested, Aspose.Slides will initialize a new PresentationEx() object from a given file path in a second or two, then quickly proceed with the rest of my code base (basically generating a image of each slide).

For a selected few presentations, however, the line: PresentationEx pres = new PresentationEx(myfilepath); takes many minutes (not seconds) to load, even though there are only maybe 15-16 slides in the PPTX file. Once the PresentationEx object is eventually initialized, the remainder of the code completes within a couple seconds.

From my analysis, it appears that only certain slides (typically 1 to 1.5MB in size) are causing the issue. However, it is not just a size issue, since other presentations with similarly large (or larger) slides initialize quickly.

As a specific example, I used PowerPoint to reduce an original problem PPTX file to just one slide -- the single largest slide. This single-slide PPTX file was 1.457 MB on disk. In my code, the PresentationEx object initialization line: PresentationEx pres = new PresentationEx(myfilepath) took 6.5 minutes to execute, with the compiled application's RAM climbing from a pre-load size of 6.6 MB to 1.1 GB after PresentationEx load. The remaining code after the initialization line completed execution in about one second.

In Microsoft PowerPoint itself, the vary same single-slide PPTX opens within 3 seconds.

I tried pre-loading the PPTX file into a filestream, then passing the stream over to the new PresentationEx(), however this made no difference. Is there anything I can do to improve the file load performance?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the issue statement shared by you and request you to please share the sample project along with source presentation reproducing the incurring issue on your end. Please also share the hardware and operating system details where by you are performing your testing. I will investigate the issue further on my end based on information shared by you.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassirv,

Thank you for your reply.

Attached is zip file containing a simple demo Visual Studio 2012 project to choose a PPTX file and load it into a PresentationEx object. A stopwatch in the code records the time consumed to perform this task.

Also included in the same zip file is a sample problematic PPTX file that takes approximately 6 minutes to load on my workstation, using the sample project code. My workstation is a Dell Latitude E6510 Core i7 Quad-core Q740 with 8GB RAM and Windows 8). With Windows Task manager open, I also notice that the run-time RAM for the EXE climbs to over 1GB while loading the sample file.

The same PPTX sample file loads into PowerPoint 2013 within a few seconds.

Thank you for your attention.

Hi Eric,

I have worked with the sample project shared by you and have been able to observe the slow presentation loading time using Aspose.Slides for .NET 7.5.1.0. An issue with ID SLIDESNET-34444 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,