We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Viewing/editing Fillable PDF forms within our WinForms application

Hello,

I am investigating using Pdf.Kit in order to work with fillable pdf forms to create, view, fill and read the form field values. To start off, i first wanted to see if I can simply display a PDF (non fillable) using the PDF viewer. However, when I reference the PDF.Kit assembly, I am not seeing any viewer components to use in the VS2008 IDE. Also, just programatically creating a viewer and opening the file has no effect. can you please tell me if the above mentioned functionality can be achieved with PdfKit or any other component from Aspose. If PDF viewer should be used, can you please help me invoking it correctly?

Here is my code:

Imports Aspose.Pdf.Kit

Public Class TestAsposePdf

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim oViewer As PdfViewer

oViewer = New PdfViewer()

oViewer.OpenPdfFile("C:\Vishal\Work\Test\Temp.pdf")

End Sub

End Class

Thanks,

Vishal

Hi Vishal,

Thank you very much for considering Aspose.

I would like to inform you that Aspose.Pdf.Kit is not a visual tool, rather it allows you to manipulate existing PDF files using the code. As far as PdfViewer is concerned, it allows you to decode the PDF pages into images, however in order to view this decoded image, you can use some image control as shown in the code snippet below.

//create PdfViewer object

Aspose.Pdf.Kit.PdfViewer viewer = new Aspose.Pdf.Kit.PdfViewer();

//open pdf file

viewer.OpenPdfFile(“sample.pdf”);

//decode pages into images

Bitmap[] bt = viewer.DecodeAllPages();

//show a particular page’s image in an image control

this.pictureBox1.Image = new Bitmap(bt[0]);

However, I would like to add that the output shown like this is static, and you can't edit the pdf forms in this way. Currently, if you have to edit the PDF form then you'll have to show the PDF file directly in the browser or Widows Form.

Moreover, we have logged the new feature requests as PDFKITNET-13041 and PDFKITNET-13042 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this and we'll try to provide you the interface in Aspose.Pdf.Kit to show the editable forms. However, this will take some time. You'll be informed via this forum thread once this feature is available.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Hello,

Thanks for the clear response. I hope you do introduce functionality to edit pdf fillable forms in Aspose soon. We will be looking out for this solution.

In the meantime, do let me know if you can recommend any other tools that you are aware of that will allow us to edit pdf forms in a WinForms application.

Thanks,

Vishal

Hi Vishal,

I’m afraid, we can’t suggest any other component for your scenario. You’ll have to search the internet according to your requirements.

If you have any other questions regarding Aspose.Pdf.Kit or any other Aspose product, please do let us know.
Regards,

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for your patience.

I am pleased to share that the feature “WinForms control wrapping PdfViewer” requested earlier has been accomplished. The feature will become available in upcoming release of Aspose.Pdf for .NET 8.4.0 which is planned to release shortly. Please try using the attached VisualStudio 2012 solution to test the scenario. However in order to test the scenario, you need to add the reference of Aspose.Pdf.dll to projects.

The issues you have reported earlier (filed as PDFNEWNET-13041;PDFNEWNET-13042) have been fixed in Aspose.Pdf for .NET 8.4.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

Is the attached zip file still the best way to view a pdf file in a winforms application? I wanted to make sure I use the best approach to view pdf's in a Winforms application using .net 4.5 and Visual Studio 2012.

Thank you.

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for contacting support.

The earlier shared application should work with latest release however in order to display PDF file in Web application, we recommend using ViewerApp of Groupdocs.

And in case you need to display PDF file in Windows Form application, you may consider first converting PDF pages to Image format and then display / render images in Image frame control inside WinForm application.

Should you have any further query, please feel free to contact

Hello Aspose,

I am a bit confused by this thread, and am hoping you can clarify.

I would like to simply display a PDF file within a WinForm that is part of my application. The thread says the “WinForms control wrapping PdfViewer” feature has been added to Aspose.Pdf for .NET, which is great. However, after that, another thread says if I need to display a PDF file in WinForms, I have to convert the PDF to an image and display the image.

Can you clarify that for me? It would be great if I could view the PDF file in a WinForm without having to convert it to an image. Thank you very much.

@DeckerWuzHere

Thank you for contacting support.

We need to check if this feature is available or is having some problems because of huge restructuring and modifications during all these years. A ticket with ID PDFNET-47109 has been logged in our issue management system for further investigations. We will let you know once any update will be available in this regard.

In the meanwhile, you may also check if GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API, from our sister company, can satisfy your requirements.