What is the maximum size of PDF possible

Hello Team,

I am adding file attachments to PDF reports created using Aspose.Pdf. Is there a theoretical limit (proposed by Aspose or Adobe for PDF standard), to the total size of attachments that can be embedded in a Pdf.

For example if I have 30 attachments of 4MB each it would result in a gigantic 120MB file. Is this allowed? Is there an upper limit to number of atttachments and/or size of attachments?

Thanks and Regards,

Sumit.

This message was posted using Aspose.Live 2 Forum

Hello Sumit,

Thanks for using our products.

As per our observations, Aspose.Pdf for .NET 4.6.0 is capable of attaching large size documents as attachment. We have tested the scenario in following two cases.

1. I have tried adding 5.46MB file for 60 times while generating a PDF document and the resultant PDF of size 350MB is properly being generated in 15 seconds without any issue.
  2. I have tried attaching a large sized 26.1 MB file for 15 times as an attachment and as per my observations, the resultant file of size 419MB is properly being generated in 22 Seconds without any issue.

Besides attachment case, Aspose.Pdf for .NET has the capability to generate a PDF document of size around 1.3GB (file main contain text and tables). Please try using our product and in case you face any problem or you have any further query, please feel free to contact.

You can download the latest release version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET 4.6.0 from here.

PS, We have also observed that when generating a PDF document with attachments (number count or file size) greater than above stated information, System.OutOfMemoryException is being generated. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem as PDFNET-20415 in our issue tracking system. We will further look into the details of this problem and will keep you updated on the status of correction.

Thanks Nayyar for your response here as well has the live response.

Since it is throwing a System Out of Memory Exception, I am guessing it could be related to amount of System Resources available. Could you please share the amount of RAM on the system you tested? I’ll do a check for the same on my side and post my findings.

Hi,

The machine that I used for testing has the following specifications/configurations

Windows XP SP2 over Intel Pentium4 2.80 Ghz with 2.0 GB of RAM and Visual Studio 2005 version is 8.0.50727.

In case I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Hi, I'm trying to work with big sized pdf... like 5-10 GB...
The pdf is a scan result a big quality.
I need to compress the original file to a smaller size, to allow users to normally read the file.
After my tries, I've seen that ASPOSE throws memory exceptions with those big file...
Are there limits on the maximum size that ASPOSE.PDF can be manage?

Thank you

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for contacting support.

Aspose.Pdf for .NET do not have any limitations in terms of the size of input PDF file but sometimes due to the structure and complexity of the input file, the API may encounter any issue. So in order for us to investigate and figure out the problem which you are facing, we request you to please share the input PDF file or some code snippet which can help us in reproducing such large document. In order to share the file, you may consider uploading it to some free file sharer and share the link with us.

We are sorry for this delay and inconvenience.

Hi, thank you.

My first tries was made with an old version of Aspose.Pdf library.
Now, I tried again with the latest version and it seems that all works fine… So, I apologize for my previous request and thank you for your response.

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for your feedback.

It is good to know that your issue has been resolved. Please keep using our API and in case if you face any issue please feel free to contact us. We will be more than happy to extend our support.

Best Regards,