Where to put Aspose.Excel.lic?

I have downloaded and executed the new msi file.
I have added these 2 lines:

Dim license As license = New license
License.SetLicense(“Aspose.Excel.lic”)

I get an error that Aspose.Excel.lic can’t be found.
Where do I put it?

I read one of your messages telling where it would be looked for; but I did not understand it.

thanks,
earlofroberts

Have you already bought a license file?

If yes, please put your file in the same folder with Aspose.Excel.dll or in the same folder with your application. Or you can include the license file in your project and build it as embedded resources.

Please download v2.8.8.2 at

We fixed a bug related to path of license file.

This solved my problem.

In another message you had said that we needed to use the 2 lines where a license object was created.
I did not use the lines, but it still works. I would like to know WHY?

Does this mean that each project must have its’ own license?
I would like to be able to put a license on the web server to provide for any projects that might be placed there. Can this be done? And if so, how?

thanks,
ed

In your program, you just have to set license once.
And you can also use Excel.SetLicense method to set license. But Excel.SetLicense method is obsolete. We just keep it for compatibility issue. It will be removed in the future.

You can put a license in a common folder to allow all your programs to access it.

In each of your program, you can use this:

Dim license As license = New license
License.SetLicense(“C:\CommonFolder\Aspose.Excel.lic”)

Please respond to these questions. Thank you.

In another message you had said that we needed to use the 2 lines where a license object was created.
I did not use the lines, but it still works. I have not used set license anywhere. I would like to know WHY?

I would like to be able to put a license on the web server to provide for any projects that might be placed there. Can this be done? And if so, how?

thanks,
ed

I did not use the lines, but it still works. I have not used set license anywhere. I would like to know WHY?

Answer: Do you buy a license? If yes, please use the above code to set license.
You can run your program without license code. Then you use the evaluation edition of Aspose.Excel. The evalution edition is full functional. However, you will get a license sheet in each created file.

Answer: In one machine, all project can share a same license file. So your case can be served. You just need to use my sample code in each project to set license.

I’m with the Oklahoma Board of Regents for Higher Education.
We purchased and unlimited license.

Thanks for the explanation.

ed

@earlofroberts,
Aspose.Cells is the latest product that has replaced Aspose.Excel. This new product provides number of ways to apply license in different scenarios like it can be loaded from disk or stream. Similarly it can be embedded as resource to secure it from application users.

Here are examples to test the license loading using Aspose.Cells.

Applying a License from Disk or Stream

//Instantiate an instance of license and set the license file through its path

Aspose.Cells.License license = new Aspose.Cells.License();

license.SetLicense("Aspose.Cells.lic");
//Instantiate an instance of license and set the license through a stream

Aspose.Cells.License license = new Aspose.Cells.License();

license.SetLicense(myStream);

Here are the links to different options for setting license:
Licensing
Applying metered license
Using an Embedded Resource

You can download the latest free trial version here for testing this new product:
Aspose.Cells for .NET (Latest Version)

Get a runnable solution here to test different features of this product.