Word Wrap not working when text contains certain patterns

I am using Aspose.PDF for .Net (v7.9.0) in a production system for generating certificates of insurance using BindXML. In most cases, word wrap works as expected, but I have found 2 instances where words will get broken in the middle instead of wrapping correctly.

If (in a large paragraph) I have a dash followed by 2 or more spaces ("- "), or a single line of text with 2 or more dashes (“certificate - policy number 24924 - premium $100.00”) word wrap does not always work properly. For the first case, if I remove one of the spaces, word wrap works as expected. In the second case, if I replace the dashes with another character, word wrap works as expected. Since the text being entered is controlled by end-users, I cannot prevent the use of dashes with multiple spaces, or the use of multiple dashes in a paragraph. Is there something I can do to make sure that word wrap never allows a word to be broken in the middle?

Hi Murray,

Thanks for using our products.

Can you please share the source XML and resultant PDF being generated, so that we can test the scenario at our end. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

I have attached a .zip file containing the source XML and XSL files, along with the resulting PDF file.

Problems:
In the section "This certificate is issued regarding:“

• Paragraph 1 - Line 1 (multiple dashes in one line): Period appears at beginning of line #2
  • Paragraph 1 - Line 2 (multiple dashes in one line): the word Their is not wrapped correctly – the “r” appears on line #3
  • Paragraph 2 - Line 1 (dash followed by 2 spaces): the word This is not wrapped correctly – the “s” appears on line #2
In the section “Additional Information:
  • Multiple wrapping errors
In all cases, if I make sure there is only 1 dash (”-”) in a line, or if a dash is followed by only a single space, word wrap works correctly – if there are 2 or more dashes on a line, or if a dash is followed by 2 or more spaces, a single character will appear on the following line.

mdbirkett:
I have attached a .zip file containing the source XML and XSL files, along with the resulting PDF file.
Hi Murray,

Thanks for sharing the resource files.

I
have tested the scenario and I am able to reproduce the same problem. For the
sake of correction, I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFNEWNET-35250. We
will investigate this issue in details and will keep you updated on the status
of a correction. <o:p></o:p>

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Do you have any updates on this issue? This is causing considerable issues in our production environment, and I need to know when this issue will be corrected.

Murray

Hi Murray,

Thanks for your inquiry. I’m afraid your reported issue is still not resolved and the issue is still pending for analysis in the queue with other priority tasks. However, I’ve shared your concerns with the development team and requested to share an ETA at their earliest. We will update you as soon as we get a feedback.

Sorry for the inconvenience faced.

Best Regards,

I just tried this again using version 8.8.0, and the problem still exists. My subscription runs out next month, and I REALLY need to have this fixed. The problem was reported 7-28-2011 on version 7.9 and is still not corrected. Can you please give an update as to when this problem will be resolved.

Thanks,

Murray Birkett
Marsh Canada

Hi Murray,

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. I am afraid the reported issue is still not resolved. We have recorded your concern and also raised the issue priority in our issue tracking system. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress in this thread.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Hi Aspose,
I am also facing the same issue. Do we have any newer version which is having fix for this issue? I have also posted the same issue and need confirmation from Aspose side.

Narendra B K

Hi Narendra,

Thanks for your inquiry. I am afraid the above logged issue is still not resolved. Moreover, as stated in your other post, please share your sample code and input/output document, so we will investigate it and will link to appropriate issue id.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

I am now using version 10.4, and this issue STILL has not been addressed. This issue was raised in July of 2011 – next month this will be 4 YEARS old! Can I PLEASE get a resolution to this problem???

Hi Murray,

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience caused. We have escalated the issue and requested our product team to share an ETA at their earliest. We will update you as soon as we get a feedback.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

P.S: Please note issue was logged in May 2013.

Hi;

I just checked with version 11.7.0, and the problem still exists. As indicated in the previous email from you, this problem was reported in May 2013 – over 3 years ago. This continues to have an impact on a production system, and is causing an increase in help desk support calls, and important documents are being sent out to clients with word-wrap issues.

Can you PLEASE let me know when we might see a fix for this ongoing problem?

Murray Birkett
Technical Lead
Marsh Canada

Hi Murray,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. We have already raised the issue priority and our product team will schedule your issue investigation and resolution very soon. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,