Xamarin.iOS (Mono) and Aspose.Words

We’re trying to get Aspose.Words working on Mono and Xamarin.iOS.

We’re building a simple project that does some keyword replacement in a .doc document using the .Words library. We’re using the latest Xamarin tools and the VS2013 integration kit.

We are getting an error in our solution during build due to the fact that Aspose.Words appears to reference System.XML V2.0.0.0.0 which cannot be resolved. We do have a reference to System.XML but it is the 2.0.5.0 version supported by Xamarin.iOS.

There doesn’t appear to be a way of mapping the old reference to the new one, nor any way of knowing if this would even be acceptable to Aspose.Words.

Anyone know of any workarounds for this problem. There may of course be other issues to overcome but at the moment this is the only build issue I am finding.

Hi John,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have logged a new ticket in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-10739 to investigate
the usage of Aspose.Words for .NET with Xamarin.iOS (Mono). Your request has also been linked to this issue and you will
be notified as soon as it is resolved.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hi John,

Thanks for your patience. We have not exclusively tested Aspose.Words with Xamarin.iOS (Mono). However, Aspose.Words should work with Xamarin.iOS (Mono). Please let us know if you still face any issue while using Aspose.Words.

You may try Aspose.Words for Cloud, if it is feasible for you. It is compatible with Xamarin.

Hi,

I got Aspose.Word works with Xamarin.iOS on Simulator, but couldn’t be lucky on Device.

These are how I did:

1 - Use external System.Xml.dll file:

• Do not use default System.Xml from Xamarin.iOS packages
  • Get System.Xml.dll file from Mono.framework

2 - Add System.Drawing

• Xamarin.iOS doesn’t include System.Drawing in their package
  • Get System.Drawing.dll file from Mono.framework

3 - Add support Internationalization:

• Go to Project Options → iOS Build → Advanced → Check ALL items in Internationalization

On Device, I got some problems because have to Link SDK Assemblies (on Simulator set to Don’t Link). Please check the screenshots here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z35vocd4vxzwywj/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-06%20at%205.36.46%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oxxh6aavf5cmnc/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-06%20at%205.36.41%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1ippnfz061f7f0/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-06%20at%205.49.20%20PM.png?dl=0

Can you please build source code with Xamarin.iOS ? Please check here to see the recommend from Xamarin.iOS: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/cross-platform/internals/available-assemblies

It’s is the best solution, others are just work-around.

I am willing to help if you have need any support with Xamarin.iOS.

Thanks,

Tri Nguyen

Hi Tri Nguyen,

Thanks for your inquiry and sharing the detail. Currently there is no plans to check Aspose.Words with Xamarin.iOS (Mono) in near future. However, we tested Aspose.Words in Mono environment and it should work with Xamarin.iOS.

Regarding your query about building source code with Xamarin.iOS, I have logged this ticket as WORDSNET-10843 in our issue tracking system. Once there is any update available on this ticket, we will update you via this forum thread.

Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi Tahir,

I tested Aspose.Words on Mono and it have worked very well. Just some problems with Xamarin.iOS (mini Mono).

Hope that your Team can solve it soon.

Thanks a lot,
Tri Nguyen

Hi Tri Nguyen,

Thanks for your feedback. Sure, we will update you via this forum thread once there is any update available on WORDSNET-10843.

Please let us know if you have any more queries.

It’s been a while. Is there any more information or progress on enabling Aspose.Words to build and run properly on devices

Hi there,

Thanks

for your inquiry. Unfortunately there is no further news about WORDSNET-10739. I regret to share with you that the implementation of
this issue had been postponed. We will inform you as soon as there are
any further developments.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

@johnwilkins,

It is to inform you that we have released a new API named ‘Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin’. You can download it from the following link:
Download Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin

Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin brings all stunning features of Aspose.Words for .NET to the Xamarin.iOS platform that makes it possible to do native iOS development in C#, with either Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio or you can even use Visual Studio for Mac. Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin is a class library that enables your native iOS applications to perform a great range of document processing tasks. Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin supports DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, OpenDocument, PDF, XPS, EPUB and other formats. With Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin you can generate, modify, convert and render documents. For more details, please visit documentation:
Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin Documentation