Xlsb to xlsx conversion

Hi guys,

I have here a xlsb sample that I want to convert to xlsx.
Upon Aspose Cells 22.1, the output xlsx extracted path “\xl_rels\workbook.xml.rels” contain the reference metadata.bin
But with the newest Aspose cells version 23.12, the output xlsx extracted path “\xl_rels\workbook.xml.rels” contain the reference metadata.xml

Both of these references points to an unexisting file but I just want to understand why with 22.1 the reference is metadata.bin but with newest version its’ metadata.xml.

Here is the sample code:

var options = new Aspose.Cells.LoadOptions(LoadFormat.Xlsb);
using(var fs = new FileStream(tempInputXlsxFile, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.ReadWrite))
{
using(var doc = new Workbook(fs, options))
doc.Save(outputXlsxFile, SaveFormat.Xlsx);
}
DS-2409.zip (6.3 KB)

@dunghnguyen
Previously, parsing metadata file was not supported. When converting xlsb to xlsx format, we directly performed a preservation operation. The name metadata.xml in the xlsx file after conversion is correct. Through testing, we found that metadata.xml was lost when converting xlsb to xlsx format.

We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): CELLSNET-54821

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

1 Like

@dunghnguyen
There are many advanced features that are defined in metadata by ms excel but we have not supported them yet. For those unsupported features, we do not support to parse them from the bin file and save to corresponding metadata.xml for generated xlsx file either. So the metadata file may be lost for such kind of conversion.

We keep improving our product to support more and more features always. Understanding and parsing those metadata is just one part of this task. In future versions, the metadata should be fully translated and restored as we support more and more features. But currently we are afraid we cannot support it.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and I look forward to the new feature.

@dunghnguyen
You are welcome. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

@dunghnguyen
We have supported convert metadata.bin from xlsb to metadata.xml in xlsx in 24.3.
But there is a bug that converting ds-2044.xlsb to xlsx because there is no useful metadata in your tempate file. We will fix it in the next version 24.4.
In the next version 24.4, metdata in xlsx file will be removed as MS Excel if it’s useless.
If you resave the ds-2044.xlsb to xlsx in MS Excel, you will find no metadata.xml too.

1 Like

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-54821) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by johnson.shi