Xml to excel via webservice

Hi,

I was wandering if it were possible to have a server, with .cells running, that offers a web service.

Antoher app can pass an xml with data and a xslt with formatting (i have no idea if this is the correct way of passing formatting to excel or .cells), and the service responds with an excel with the formatting applied.

Is this possible without any "click here to do something" interaction from the user ?

If so, any guidelines would be appreciated.

thanx in advance, Tom.

I was wandering if it were possible to have a server, with .cells running, that offers a web service.

Antoher app can pass an xml with data and a xslt with formatting (i have no idea if this is the correct way of passing formatting to excel or .cells), and the service responds with an excel with the formatting applied.

Sure you can use Aspose.Cells in a web service. Some users have already done this.

For passing data, I think a SpreadsheetML file will be better. Aspose.Cells supports to import/export SpreadsheetML files but xml/xslt is not directly supported yet.

Is this possible without any "click here to do something" interaction from the user ?

I am not sure about your needs. Could you please elaborate your scenarios?

Laurence,

The scenario would be that an application uses a web service on another server to transform XML data into an excel.

So the user clicks on export and a dialog pops up to save or open the excel.

The layout would not be too heavy, just a header with a logo.

The data would consist of statistics.

Any help into a flexible solution is very much appreciated because i have found 1000 solutions but have no idea is most suitable for me...

ps : and what about the new office 12 excel services and office 12 possibilities ?

thank you very much in advance, Tom.

Is this your scenario?

1. The user click on export on client.

2. XML data is upload to a server

3. This server calls a web service hosted on another server. This web server accepts the xml data and populate it into an Excel file. Then it returns the output file to the first server.

4. The first server sends the output file to client.

If yes, I think Aspose.Cells can serve your need well.

and are there any code examples available ?

and can the new office 12 excel services help me ? or should i choose aspose and why ?

thanks alot Laurence, Tom.

When you download and install Aspose.Cells, you can see the demos source code. And you can check Aspose.Cells for more information.

Aspose.Cells creates Excel file without utilizing MS Excel, so you don't need to install MS Excel on your servers. For office 12 Excel service, I think you may have to install MS Excel on your servers.

Why choose Aspose instead of Excel automation: WhyNotAutomation.