XSL-FO not generating expected PDF layout

Hello,

The company I am working for has purchased Aspose PDF Generator for creating PDF files from HTML and XSL-FO. We are having decent success with HTML, but the fidelity of the XSL-FO documents being generated seems very poor. At a previous company I used IBEX PDF Geneartor with great success, so I ran our FO documents through an evaluation version of IBEX and was able to generate the PDF I was expecting. I’m hoping you can help me get Aspose to generate the same quality PDF.

Please see the attached PDF files (one from Aspose, and another from IBEX) along with the FO document I used with each product. The supporting image files are also attached.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have also noticed the fidelity issue in XSL-FO to PDF conversion output and logged an enhancement ticket PDFNEWNET-37305 in our issue tracking system for further investigation and improvement of the feature. We will notify you as soon as it is resolved.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Thanks for your reply Tilal. Does this mean that I could expect a resolution in a few days, a few weeks, or that I’ll have to wait until a future version update? This is very concerning to me because Aspose states in the product specification that PDF Generator supports XSL-FO. The FO document I submitted in this post was very basic and should present no problem to any software claiming to support XSL-FO.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your feedback. I am afraid we can not share any ETA at the moment as we have recently noticed the issue. As soon as our development team completes the issue investigation, we will share an ETA. However we have recorded your concern and requested our development team to share an ETA at their earliest.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Is there any update / ETA on when this might be fixed? I am also running into the exact issue reported here.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have good news for you our development team has completed the issue investigation and planned in January 2015. If it goes as per plan then fix will be included in Aspose.Pdf for .NET 10.0.0. However we will confirm you once issue is resolved and included in the Aspose.Pdf for .NET API.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your patience.

The development team has further investigated the issue PDFNEWNET-37305 reported earlier and as per our observations, the issues seems to be related to incorrect input XSLFO (and currently in such cases, an exception is generated). We also have implemented a feature to to generate meaningful exception when such issues occur so that users get clear indication about what’s wrong in source XSLFO-document, instead of getting confused that either its an issue with their source file or a problem occurring in our API.

Please note that the resource document contains incorrectly formatted fo:table-cell (line 54). As per specification over http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#fo_table-cell a table cell cannot directly contain fo:inline(http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#fo_inline) element. We also have added a special handler for such exceptions, in order to get more correct information about incorrectly formatted objects. Please note that if you fix your input file in accordance to specification of xsl-fo, the document will be converted properly.

In order to get result file with images, place ‘/images’ folder with referenced images from attached original set of input files(‘Aspose-XSL-FO-Issue.zip’) to same directory as input XslFo file. For your reference, I attached the corrected XSLFO file as 37305_corrected.fo (please rename file from .txt to .fo) along with resultant PDF generated with same file.

Also please note that it’s necessary to use new XSLFO to PDF conversion engine.

[C#]

Aspose.Pdf.XslFoLoadOptions options
=
new
Aspose.Pdf.
XslFoLoadOptions();<o:p></o:p>

options.UseOldXslFoEngine = false;

string inFile = @"F:\ExternalTestsData\37305_corrected.fo";

Aspose.Pdf.Document newDoc = new Aspose.Pdf.Document(inFile, options);

string outPdfFile = @"F:\ExternalTestsData\37305_output.pdf";

newDoc.Save(outPdfFile);

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNEWNET-37305) have been fixed in Aspose.Pdf for .NET 10.0.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.