Unable to open .ppt in office 2008 for mac

With aspose slides version 2.6.26.0 ppt files generated with aspose.slides open without issues in power point (office 2008) for mac.
After upgrading to version 2.9.2.3740 and later 4.0.0.1 I am unable to open ppt files in powerpoint/office 2008 for mac.

The only exception I have found is that if it is a simple powerpoint file (e.g. a single file with a textframe) it opens without issues. However if there is a table or image in one of the slides an error occurs (unable to open… not very descriptive and no error number).

Presentations are created in C# using a template file like this
Presentation presentation = new Presentation(templatefile);
Slide newSlide = presentation.AddTitleSlide();
TextHolder title = (newSlide.Placeholders[0] as TextHolder);
title.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].FontHeight = 12;
title.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].Text = “Project name”;
title.Paragraphs.Add(text);

Slide imageSlide = presentation.CloneSlide(imgSlide, presentation.Slides.Count + 1);
Slides.Picture chartImage = new Aspose.Slides.Picture(presentation, imageStream); //imageStream is a memorystream
int pictureID = presentation.Pictures.Add(chartImage);
int height = presentation.Pictures[pictureID - 1].Image.Height7;
int width = presentation.Pictures[pictureID - 1].Image.Width
7;
int x = (imageSlide.Background.Width - width)/2;
int y = (imageSlide.Background.Height - height)/2;
imageSlide.Shapes.AddPictureFrame(pictureID, x, y, width, height);
presentation.Write(filename);

Hi,

The issue has been reported with issue id 11195 and you will be informed as soon as the issue is resolved.

Any update on this issue? The issue is reproduceable in Aspose.PDF 4.1.1.0.

Hi,

I need consultation with the development team for this issue and after that, i shall respond you soon.

Hi,

For the time being, we have to arrange a Mac system for testing. As soon as we are able to arrange it, we will investigate the issue for fix.

Three months and you cant get access to a $600 computer for testing? Maybe Ill take the cost of the purchase out of my 2010 $12,000 renewal fee.

If your team needs Macs for verification, I would be willing to help.

I think Ill give my Aspose sales rep a call also.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We are working on this issue on a high priority. We will try our best to fix this issue as soon as possible. After the fix of the issue, we will test it and notify you.

Once again, sorry for delay.

Best Regards

Hi,

I've created a presentation containing 4 slides (one master slide, one TitleSlide with text, one EmptySlide with Image and another EmptySlide with Table over it). When I've tried viewing it over my Mac OS X 10.5.5 with Microsoft Office for MAC 2008, I am also getting an exception message. But, when I tried opening the same file in Windows XP with MS Office 2003, the file is opening without any problem.

I have created the presentation using Aspose.Slides 4.1.0.0 and using the code snippet shared below. For the testing purpose, I also tried opening the same presentation over my iPhone with Firmware 3.0 and I didn't faced any problem. The file is opening without any issue.

One more strange observation. I also created 3 more presentation files and tried viewing them over MacC OS X 10.5.5 and I have been getting the same exception message. But over iPhone, they are displaying with no such error message. Files are attached with this forum post.

1) Containing only TitleSlide with Text

2) One TitleSlide with Text and one EmptySlide with Table.

3) One EmptySlide with Table

C# .NET

Presentation presentation = new Presentation();
presentation.AddTitleSlide();
Slide newSlide = presentation.Slides[1];
TextHolder title = (newSlide.Placeholders[0] as TextHolder);
title.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].FontHeight = 12;
title.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].Text = "Project name";
TextHolder th = (TextHolder)newSlide.Placeholders[1];
th.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].Text = "Sample text in slide";

presentation.AddEmptySlide();
//Get the first slide which is Master slide added by default when Presentation object is created
Slide sld = presentation.Slides[2];
//Creating a picture object that will be used to fill the ellipse
Aspose.Slides.Picture pic = new Aspose.Slides.Picture(presentation, "c:\\smile.jpg");
//Adding the picture object to pictures collection of the presentation
//After the picture object is added, the picture is given a uniqe picture Id
int picId = presentation.Pictures.Add(pic);
//Calculating picture width and height
int pictureWidth = presentation.Pictures[picId - 1].Image.Width * 4;
int pictureHeight = presentation.Pictures[picId - 1].Image.Height * 4;
//Calculating slide width and height
int slideWidth = sld.Background.Width;
int slideHeight = sld.Background.Height;
//Calculating the width and height of picture frame
int pictureFrameWidth = Convert.ToInt32(slideWidth / 2 - pictureWidth / 2);
int pictureFrameHeight = Convert.ToInt32(slideHeight / 2 - pictureHeight / 2);
//Adding picture frame to the slide
sld.Shapes.AddPictureFrame(picId, pictureFrameWidth, pictureFrameHeight,pictureWidth, pictureHeight);

// Add table to presentation
presentation.AddEmptySlide();
//Setting table parameters
int xPosition = 880;
int yPosition = 1400;
int tableWidth = 4000;
int tableHeight = 500;
int columns = 4;
int rows = 4;
double borderWidth = 2;
//Adding a new table to the slide using specified table parameters
Aspose.Slides.Table table = presentation.Slides[3].Shapes.AddTable(xPosition, yPosition, tableWidth, tableHeight,
columns, rows, borderWidth, System.Drawing.Color.Blue);
//Setting the alternative text for the table that can help in future to find
//and identify this specific table
table.AlternativeText = "myTable";
//Merging two cells
table.MergeCells(table.GetCell(0, 0), table.GetCell(1, 0));
//Accessing the text frame of the first cell of the first row in the table
TextFrame tf = table.GetCell(0, 0).TextFrame;
//If text frame is not null then add some text to the cell
if (tf != null)
{
tf.Paragraphs[0].Portions[0].Text = "Welcome to Aspose.Slides for .NET";
}

//Write the presentation on disk
presentation.Write(@"c:\\Presentation_Test_for_MAC.ppt");

I just tried all 4 attachments on the post and they all opened properly on OSX 10.6.2 & Office 2008 for the Mac for me. I exported an Aspose PDF report (attached: all_questions_1331776.PPT) from our service and the resulting PPT still fails to open. Our production code is still using v4.0.0.1 of Aspose.slides though.

I have attached the template (master.ppt) we use from our original code sample. I have an engineer working to try and provide a more concrete example that will execute the problem with the new libraries. Since our application creates PDFs of variable structure and data, it is nto as easy to abstract something we can just hand off.

As soon as I have more, I will have someone post to the thread.

Bradley

Here, attached, is a small example .Net 2.0 Windows Form app that demonstrates the issue we are having in our ASP.NET 2.0 website. The issue is opening the generated powerpoint file on a Mac.

Is there an update on this issue? Were you able to try the example provided?

Hi Bradley,

We apologize for your inconvenience.

I was successfully able to reproduce the issue that presentation generated by Aspose.Slides for .NET is not getting opened in MAC OS with MS Office 2008 installed on it. The issue ID 11195 already exists in our issue tracking system to deal with your problem. This issue is also linked with same issue ID. Our development team is looking into the matter and as soon as issue is resolved, we will be more than happy to share that with you.

We are aware of your inconvenience and feel greatly sorry for that.

Hi Bradley,

We are pleased to share the intermediate version of Aspose.Slides for .NET with you. Please proceed to this link for downloading the said version. The shared version contain resolution to your specified issue. Please use the shared version and feel free to share your feedback. We really appreciate your patience.

Thanks and Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 11195) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.