"ADVANCE" field not supported when saving Word document in PDF format

Hello,
In some WORD templates we have an Advance field {ADVANCE \y nnn,nn}. This field is used to put the text (following the field) in a precise position in the document from the top of the page.
I have tried DOC.UpdateFields(), doc.UdatePageLayout() and many other options and methods for Word and PDF and none gives the result expected.
Some people said that this type of field is not supported since Word2013 version but we are still in Word2003 version. But I tried with Word2013 and this type of field is still supported. It works well in MS-Word2013 application.

When I debug the program and save the document from Aspose into ".doc or .docx" on disk it works very well:
I open the document and the "function ADVANCE" is executed. The result is OK (for Word2003, Word2010 and Word2013).
When I "Save as " that Word document in "PDF format" in MS-Word, it works very well too. All spaces between paragraphs are OK.

But when I save the document in "pdf" format in Aspose (save the document from Memory Aspose Word Document using PDF OPTIONS), the "function ADVANCE" is not executed.
I open the PDF document and the text is not at the right place. It is as if the field ADVANCE does not exist in the document.
Unlike this type of field, the others (IF, SET, CHECKBOX, MERGEFIELD) work very well.

In main environment, we always work in memory - the templates are stored in BLOB on Oracle database, we load them in Aspose.Word.Document and we never save the Word document on disk to avoid the wastes of time for I/O.
To do my tests, I created a document Word2010 on disk and work with this one.

So there is my question:
- Do we have to use a special method to update that type of field or do we have to set a special option for saving the Word document in PDF format ?

To help your investigation, I join the documents that I use to do my tests (the Word2010 document, the PDF document created using Aspose and the PDF document from "Save as" directly from Word). Also, I join the code executed in my last test.

Thank's a lot!

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your inquiry. It seems your query relates to Aspose.Words, so I am moving your post to the related forum. My Aspose.Words colleague will look into it and will guide you accordingly.

Edit: Please share your source file TestAdvance_Y.docx again, it is corrupt.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hello,

Such as asked, I attach the document renamed: TestAdvance_Y_beforeAspose.docx
I also attach the Word document produced by Aspose named TestAdvance_Y_byAspose.docx
and the 2 files (PDF) like I sent you the first time.
I put those files in a .Zip
Hope that will be OK.

Thank’s

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

While using the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 17.2.0, we managed to reproduce this issue on our end. We have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. The ID of this issue is WORDSNET-14878. Your thread has also been linked to the appropriate issue and you will be notified as soon as it is resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hello,

Just a note to warn you to pay attention on the paragraphs linked together (paragraphFormat.KeepwithNext = true). Because if there is not enough space to insert all the paragraphs linked to and following the ADVANCE field, MS WORD put all of them on a new page.

Have a nice day,

Diane
Hi Diane,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, your issue (WORDSNET-14878) is not resolved yet. Our product team has completed the initial analysis of this issue. It is a rare and tricky feature, has gone through some deprecation in MS Word and we unfortunately don't fully understand how to support it (ADVANCE field). I am afraid, there will be no solution coming quickly. Because of complexity and important tasks, the implementation of the fix of this issue has been postponed till a later date (no estimates available). We have passed the information from your last post to our product team. We will inform you via this thread as soon as there is any further update available or this issue is resolved. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Best regards,

A post was split to a new topic: Support ADVANCE field during Word to PDF conversion