Chart Rendering in PDF

Hello,

I am evaluating Aspose Cells 17.9.

When I save my sample Excel spreadsheet with a selection of charts in various styles to PDF, the resulting charts in the PDF are not rendered very smoothly compared to the results of using Excel’s Export PDF.

Here is my code for saving:

Aspose.Cells.PdfSaveOptions pdfSaveOptions = new Aspose.Cells.PdfSaveOptions(Aspose.Cells.SaveFormat.Pdf);
// set warning callback
pdfSaveOptions.WarningCallback = wbWarningCallback;
pdfSaveOptions.Compliance = Aspose.Cells.Rendering.PdfCompliance.None; // creates 1.4 PDF
wBook.Save(OUTPUT_DIR + OUTPUT_NAME, pdfSaveOptions);

And here is a zip with my test xlsx, a PDF from Word and my Aspose generated PDF:
ChartStyles.zip (894.4 KB)

The chart on the first page is 3D conical, which I think should be supported based on this list: (https://docs.aspose.com/display/cellsnet/Chart+Rendering#ChartRendering-RenderingCharttoPDF) I

The edges of the cones are very jagged and any gradient/shading is no longer present.

The others are various styles. The flat ones seem to come through fine; it’s the 3D ones that aren’t quite right. In particular, the last two on the 4th page. The second from the bottom looses its 3D look and the last one has much wider spaces between the pie pieces and the edges, almost like the border wasn’t drawn.

Can you tell me if those types of charts are supported, and if not, is there any ETA for support for them?

Also, is there any changes to my save code that I can make ti improve the results?

Thanks,

Sheri

@sheri_steeves

Thanks for using Aspose APIs.

We have generated the output Pdf using the most recent version. Please download it and add comments inside it for every problematic area. We will then log tickets based on your comments. Thanks for your cooperation in this regard.

Download Link:
output-18.1.1.pdf (95.4 KB)

C#

Workbook wb = new Workbook("Charts Styles.xlsx");
wb.Save("output-" + CellsHelper.GetVersion() +".pdf");

Hello,

Here is my commented PDF, see pages 1 and 4.

commented-output-18.1.1.pdf (84.2 KB)

Thanks,

Sheri

@sheri_steeves

Thanks for adding comments inside the output Pdf. We were able to observe these issues and logged them in our database for investigation and for a fix. Once, these issues are resolved or we have some other news for you, we will let you know asap.

These issues have been logged as

• CELLSNET-45882 - Pie Chart Styled - is not rendered good in output PDF
  • CELLSNET-45883 - 3D Pie Chart - is not rendered good in output PDF
  • CELLSNET-45884 - Smart Art Chart on Tab - Cones edges are jagged in output PDF

@sheri_steeves

For your issue,

• CELLSNET-45882 - Pie Chart Styled - is not rendered good in output PDF

Soft Edges, Shadow, Glow and 3-D format are not supported.

We are afraid “the gradient background has a striping effect at certain zoom levels (50%, 66.7%, 79.3% etc.)”, we do not know why it is like that and it cannot be fixed now.

For your issue,

• CELLSNET-45883 – 3D Pie Chart - is not rendered good in output PDF

We will provide a fix soon for border wide issues.

For your issue,

• CELLSNET-45884 - Smart Art Chart on Tab - Cones edges are jagged in output PDF

For the chart in “Conical Chart” sheet, Aspose.Cells is different to MS-Excel because Aspose.Cells draws every element (e.g. lines, texts, rectangles and so on) independently. While MS-Excel draws plot with a picture. If you enlarge the scale of the pdf, you can find the chart is blurry.

For making the line smooth, you must check the “Smooth line art” of Adobe Reader as shown in the following screenshot.

Smooth line art - Screenshot:

@shakeel.faiz

Thanks for the follow up.

For CELLSNET-45882 - is there any timeline on adding support for Soft Edges, Shadow, Glow and 3-D format?

For CELLSNET-45883 - thanks, I’ll watch for the update.

For CELLSNET-45884 - I knew that Excel’s chart output creates a picture; I could tell when I zoomed in. THe PDF created with Aspose’s Cells zooms much nicer as you are rendering each element.I did have the smooth line art option checked (always do). The update to 18.1 from 17.9 did make a huge difference in the output; cones are much better looking now than they were. The only issue now is the tiny tail that appears at the bottom of the cone when you zoom in (starts at about 150%).

Thanks,

Sheri

@sheri_steeves

We are afraid, this issue cannot be fixed because of its complexity. We do not know how to implement these things.

Hopefully, we will provide fix for both of these issues. Once, we will have some more news for you, we will let you know asap.

@sheri_steeves

Thanks for using Aspose APIs.

Please download and try the following fix for your issue CELLSNET-45883 and let us know your feedback.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-45883) have been fixed in this Aspose.Cells for .NET 18.2 update.

Please also check the following article:

Thanks, I’ll check out the update shortly and let you know.

@Amjad_Sahi, I tested the 18.1.4 fix for CELLSNET-45883 and the too-wide charts outlines for the one sample chart are now correct.

@sheri_steeves

Thanks for your feedback and using Aspose.Cells.

It is good to know that your issue is resolved with the latest fix. Let us know if you encounter any other issue, we will be glad to look into it and help you further.

@sheri_steeves,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v18.2.1:

Your issue (logged earlier as “CELLSNET-45884”) has been fixed.

Let us know your feedback.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-45884) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by Amjad_Sahi

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-45884) have been fixed in this update. Please also check the following article:* <a href="Install Aspose Cells through NuGet|Documentation