Document does not allow you to save any changes

Hello,

We have created a pdf using Aspose.Pdf that contains several form fields. We want the pdf to be:

1-- Downloaded to the client.
2-- Opened and filled in using Adobe Reader.
3-- Saved locally.

We are able to download and fill in the form, but we cannot get the completed form to save on the client machine. When trying to save a message says, "This document does not allow you to save any changes you have made to it unless you are using Adobe Acrobat 9… You will only be saving a copy of the original document."

How can we modify the pdf form so that it can be edited and saved using Adobe Reader?

Hello Ken,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

I've tested the scenario and I’m also getting the same prompt message. In fact, the problem is not related to Aspose.Pdf but it’s related to limitations of Adobe Reader.

For the sake of correction, may be you can try using Aspose.Pdf.Kit to accomplish your requirement. Aspose.Pdf.Kit provides variety of methods to fill the data into PDF Forms. Once the form is displayed to the user, Aspose.Pdf.Kit can be used to fill in the form data and then you can save the final copy over client’s machine. For more related information, please visit Fill PDF Form and Form Fields

For your convenience, I'm also moving this thread to Aspose.Pdf.Kit forum. In case of any further query, please feel free to contact.

Hi Ken,

Can you please share a sample PDF file, so we could test the issue at our end using Aspose.Pdf.Kit? You’ll be updated with the results accordingly.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Thank you for the response.

I have attached a sample PDF file with a few form fields.

We want the user to be able to download the form, fill it out using Adobe Reader, save the completed form and email it back to us.

The form needs to be filled in manually by the user with Adobe Reader, not with code in a development environment.

Please let me know if this is possible to do this using a PDF form created with Aspose products.
Thanks

After some additional research, I found that in order to fill in and save a form in Adobe Reader, the PDF must have extended privileges turned on. (see link)

Is there a way to turn on the “Extend Forms Fill-In & Save in Adobe Reader” privilege with Aspose.Pdf or Aspose.Pdf.Kit

Thanks

Hi Ken,

I’m sorry to inform you that it is not possible to enable extended features in a PDF file using Aspose.Pdf or Aspose.Pdf.Kit. However, our team is working on a related issue, that is to keep the extended features enabled if the form is filled and saved using Aspose.Pdf.Kit. This issue is under process and might take some time before it can be fully resolved. Are you interested in that sort of functionality?

Please share your thoughts with us.
Regards,

Hi

I am interested in this kind of functionality where the extended features are kept after a PDF form/file has been modified by aspose.pdf.kit. Is this possible now?

Hello John,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

I am afraid the requested feature is currently not available. However for the sake of implementation, we have logged this requirement as PDFKITNET-20907 in our issue tracking system. We will further look into the details of this requirement and will keep you updated on the status of correction.

Your patience and comprehension is greatly appreciated in this regard. We apologize for your inconvenience.

any news about this issue ?

Hello Dimitri,

Thanks for your patience.

Our development team is working hard to get this issue resolved and I am afraid the problem is not yet fixed. However, I have requested the development team to share the ETA regarding its resolution. Soon you will be updated with the status of correction. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi codewarrior,

I have stumbled upon this issue myself of the Reader Usage rights not being applied to PDF’s generated by aspose.pdf, therefore limiting the ability to save form data locally.

Has there been any update to this matter? If not is there a work-around in place until a formal solution has been developed?

Please let me know,

Cheers.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for using our products.

We are trying our level best to get this issue fixed but I am afraid its not yet completely resolved. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding its resolution, we would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time.

In the meantime, if you need to get the data filled inside PDF document, you may consider using the approach specified over following link for
Posting AcroForm data to an external web page.

Hi Codewarrior,

I am trying to prefill data on a PDF form after extending user rights. I am unable to prefill using my current code which worked perfectly without extending user rights.

The issue that I am coming across is that the prefill does not work and the form does not get saved correctly. There is an issue with xml that is generated on form save. The xml structure consists of XElements that are not correct.

I think this issue may be related to this thread or am I missing something. Any update on this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Smita

Hi Smita,

Sorry for replying you so late.

As stated in this forum thread, currently Aspose.Pdf for .NET does not support the feature to enable or keep the extended rights feature enabled once the PDF document is manipulated with Aspose.Pdf for .NET. The issue is already under investigation and soon you will be updated with the required information.

However concerning to your query I am trying to prefill data on a PDF form after extending user rights. I
am unable to prefill using my current code which worked perfectly
without extending user rights. can you please share the source PDF document before and after enabling the extended rights feature so that we can test the scenario at our end. Also please share the code snippet and other required documents. We are really sorry for this inconvenience.

Hi,

I have also encountered this problem. Is there a resolution to the problem?

The problem occurs after editing the PDF programatically and then saving the PDF.

When the PDF is opened in Adobe Reader, the user cannot edit any of the forms.

"Extended Features" needs to be enabled. Can this be done through the code?

Thanks,

Shane.

Hello Shane,

Thanks for using our products.

I am afraid the reported issues cannot be fixed, because according to Adobe Systems Inc., Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions enables PDF forms designers to extend the use of Adobe Reader to allow for any advanced functionalities that they put into their forms, such as the ability to save or submit a PDF form. The ability to extend Adobe Reader this way is only possible using Adobe’s products.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for any non-Adobe owned product, to either create PDFs with extended usage rights or modify the extended usage rights on existing PDFs that were created with Adobe LiveCycle or Acrobat 9.

In addition, if you modify a PDF – in any way, shape or form, with any none-Adobe product – that has had extended usage rights applied to it, it will invalidate the extended usage rights, resulting in an error message similar to the one listed below popping up when you open the document. This document contained certain rights to enable special features in Adobe Reader. The document had been changed since it was created and these rights are no longer valid. Please contact the author for the original version of this document.

We are really sorry for this inconvenience.

I understand that modifying the PDF will disable the "Reader Extension" priveledge in the PDF. .... but is there a way just to set default form field values without clearing the "Reader Extensions"?

Basically a user with Acrobat Pro X creates a "template" PDF and enables Reader Extensions so that Adobe Reader users can fill form fields and save PDF. Then I want to use Aspose.PDF to populate a few form fields and save the new PDF and then distribute that PDF to Adobe Reader users. Is there any way to keep the "Reader Extensions" enabled? It seems that it is cleared after setting form fields. I thought that form data was separate from the actual PDF. I dont want to modify the PDF ... just set some form fields.

Is that possible?

... The reason I think this might be possible is becase Adobe Reader can start filling in some form fields, hit Save, and then another user can open up that "modified" PDF in Adobe Reader and continue to edit form fields because the Reader Extension ability is still enabled. So I was hoping that simply editing form fields does not remove this capability.

thx!

Hi Jay,

I have shared the details of your requirement with the development team to further investigate this issue. Once they complete there investigation and share there results, I will update you via this forum thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Hi Jay,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please share the sample document(s) and you code sample with us. This will help the development team to investigate your issue.

Thank You & Best Regards,