Embedded Fonts Missing When Viewing PDF on Mac Using Preview instead of Acrobat

We creating the PDFs on our Windows servers and when we open the PDF on Mac using Preview everything looks good. If we Print, Save as or Duplicate, all Opentype fonts disappear. The background graphics are there, just none of the type. If we use a Truetype font all works correctly. We only have licenses for the Opentype version of the fonts.

We do not have this issue if we open and print using Acrobat on the Mac.

With our client base, many of then are not the greatest on computers and only double click the files to open and Preview is the default program on a Mac when they do this.

Any ideas?
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your inquiry. It would be great if you please share your MS Word document for investigation purposes.

Hi Tarir,

You received it in an email on Tuesday, October 16 from my co-worker Brad.

Let me know if you need it again.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please upgrade to the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 11.8.0. You can download it from the following link:
http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/default.aspx

I hope, this helps.

Best Regards,

We were on 11.5 and now downloaded 11.8 and the same thing is happening. The all open type fonts are not showing when printing or make a duplicate file using Mac Preview.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional information. I have attached the PDF file i.e. generated on my side (out - ASPOSE_HelveticaNeue.pdf) here for your reference. Could you please duplicate it on your Mac and let us know how it goes?

Best Regards,

Somehow all of the Helvetica Neue has been removed and substituted with Times New Roman (True Type).

True Type fonts work fine. It is Open Type fonts that are not showing when doing Save As, duplicate or printing.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional information. If Aspose.Words cannot find any fonts on the file system, it renders/prints the document using the free ‘Gentium’ font that is embedded into the Aspose.Words assembly. Could you please also attach your fonts here for testing?

Best Regards,

Hi,

Wondering if you have come up with any solution for this issue or if there is a timeline on the solution.

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your inquiry. I’m very sorry to share with you that on further investigation we came to know that this issue was more complex than we initially estimated. I’m afraid the issue (WORDSNET-7135), which your colleague Brad has reported [here](https://forum.aspose.com/t/50590), has now been postponed till a later date. We will inform you as soon as there are any further developments. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hopefully, the solution will be soon since this affects all Macintosh computers running Lion 10.7 and Mountain Lion 10.8 operating systems that use Preview to save or print the PDF files created in Aspose. There is no problem with PDF files created with Acrobat.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional information. We also hope for that as well. We will be sure to inform you of any developments regarding the fix of your original issue.

Best Regards,

A post was split to a new topic: PDF Conversion problems - Aspose.Words