“HeadingPairs” and "TitlesOfParts" tags are lost after conversion legacy PPT and XLS

Hi Aspose,

When I convert ppt to pptm, Aspose.Slides losts “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” tags from the docProps\app.xml. I get same issue when I convert xls to xlsm using Aspose.Cells. But these tags are created correctly when I convert doc to docm using Aspose.Words.

Same conversion with MS PowerPoint and MS Excel doesn’t lose these tags. Issue can be reproduced on any ppt and xls files. I use Aspose.Slides v. 19.2 and Aspose.Cells v. 19.2.

Best regards,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,

Please share your sample files (PPT, XLS), the output PPTM and XLSM files and code snippet with us for our testing. We will reproduce the problem and provide our feedback after analysis.

For our reference share the working DOC and DOCM as well.

Hi @ahsaniqbalsidiqui,

Despite you can replicate issue on any documents, please see sample documents: TestDocs.zip (76.2 KB)

Many thanks,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,

We were able to observe the issue but we need to look into it more. We have logged the issue in our database for investigation and for a fix. Once, we will have some news for you, we will update you in this topic.

This issues have been logged as

CELLSNET-46644
SLIDESNET-40998

@licenses,

This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue (logged earlier as “CELLSNET-46644”) now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

@licenses,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v19.3.1:

Aspose.Cells19.3.1 For .NetStandard20.Zip (4.0 MB)
Aspose.Cells19.3.1 For .Net2_AuthenticodeSigned.Zip (4.8 MB)
Aspose.Cells19.3.1 For .Net4.0.Zip (4.8 MB)

Your issue “CELLSNET-46644” should be fixed in it.

Let us know your feedback.

Hi @Amjad_Sahi,

During first convesion xls to xlsm “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” tags added correctly.
After cleaning (removing) of all properties from docProps/app.xml I convert cleaned xlsm back to xls.
When I convert already cleaned/processed xls to xlsm, I see that “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” tags are restored, but other tags aren’t restored (except AppVersion and DocSecurity tags). Sample files attached TestFiles.zip (40.2 KB)

During conversion already cleaned/processed xls document to xlsm I need to have all tags removed.

Many thanks,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,

Thanks for the sample files.

I am not sure if these (“HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts”) are counted as document properties in MS Excel, I could not find relevant options to check those properties in Ms Excel manually. How do you remove those properties in code? Please share the code segment (runnable) so we could make further investigations.

I don’t remove “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” properties from xls directly. I convert xls to xlsm, remove “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” tags from docProps/app.xml and then convert back to xls. For other properties it works.

@licenses,

I am afraid that we are not able to understand this issue. Please share the detailed steps to reproduce this scenario along with the images for our understanding. We will follow the steps to reproduce it and provide feedback after analysis.

Hi @ahsaniqbalsidiqui,

Sorry for hard explanation. Let me try to rephrase what I meant above:

1. Convert “Original.xls” to xlsm using Aspose (result: “Original.xlsm”)

2. Edit “Original.xlsm” next way: remove HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts tags from docProps/app.xml (selected part on the pic1.png (11.8 KB) should be removed), result docProps/app.xml on the pic2.png (6.3 KB)

3. Convert edited “Original.xlsm” back to xls (result name as “Cleaned.xls”)

4. Convert “Cleaned.xls” to xlsm again (“Cleaned.xlsm”)
    Expected result: docProps/app.xml of “Cleaned.xlsm” doesn’t contain HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts tags (Pic.2)
    Actual result: docProps/app.xml of “Cleaned.xlsm” contains HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts tags (Pic.1)

Best regards,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,

Thanks for providing detailed steps and screenshots.

After an initial test, I am able to observe the issue as you mentioned by following your steps using your template file (“Original.xls”). I used WinRar to extract the XLSM files and then add to archive again (after modifications). I found “HeadingPairs” and “TitlesOfParts” tags are restored again after converting cleaned XLS back to XLSM file format via Aspose.Cells APIs. I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSNET-46664” for your issue. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.

@licenses

We have investigated your issue a bit. If you save the Cleaned.xls as XLSM file with MS Excel, you can see HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts in app.xml too.The two properties are automatically generated and only represent the worksheet in the file. So, Aspose.Cells works as MS Excel.

Hi @ahsaniqbalsidiqui,

Sounds reasonable, but in this case we have inconsistency between Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Words: Aspose.Words does not add these tags to output .docm (because such properties not presents in Original doc), while MS Word does. See attached Original.doc and Output.docm in WordSamples.ZIP (6.7 KB)

Both options are suitable but the approach should be the same across all Office formats.

Best regards,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,
Please spare us little time as we are analysing this information and will get back to you soon.

@licenses,

Regarding Aspose.Words, we have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same issue at our side. For the sake of correction, we have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-18411. You will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-46644) have been fixed in Aspose.Cells for .NET v19.4. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by Amjad_Sahi

@licenses,

Could you please share the reason why you want to have empty HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts properties in output document? Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi Aspose,

We checked CELLSNET-46664 on Aspose.Cells for .NET v19.4 and even 19.5 - issue is still reproducible.

We need HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts tags to be removed, because our application provides users with such option. For Open XML formats we implemented it. But for legacy format we have a problem, because Aspose reverts them back during conversion (please see comment - “HeadingPairs” and "TitlesOfParts" tags are lost after conversion legacy PPT and XLS - #12 by amjad.sahi).

Best regards,
Alex Shloma

@licenses,

I am afraid, the issue (logged earlier as “CELLSNET-46664”) won’t be fixed as we follow MS Excel standards and specifications and may not go against it. We have already provided you the reason for it. If you save the Cleaned.xls as XLSM file with MS Excel, you can see HeadingPairs and TitlesOfParts in app.xml too.The two properties are automatically generated and only represent the worksheet in the file. So, Aspose.Cells works the same way as per MS Excel.