Is Aspose.Email dependent on Lotus Notes installation for reading Lotus Notes Files (NSF) (C# .NET)

can i read lotus notes nsf files without lotus notes installation [https://docs.aspose.com/display/emailnet/Working+with+IBM+Notes ](https://docs.aspose.com/display/emailnet/Working+with+IBM+Notes)

@lettoknow,

Yes, Aspose.Email is not dependent upon any Lotus Notes installation for loading Lotus notes file. I suggest you to please try using following examples on your end.

Class Aspose.Email.Storage.Nsf.NotesStorageFacility Method Aspose.Email.Storage.Nsf.NotesStorageFacility.EnumerateMessages

NOTE: Only message reading is implemented. Reading of folders is not supported yet due to lack of specification.

Code example:

using (NotesStorageFacility nsf = new NotesStorageFacility("test.nsf"))
{
    foreach (MailMessage eml in nsf.EnumerateMessages())
    {
        Console.Writeline(eml.Subject);
    }
}

@mudassir.fayyaz:

Are you sure that your implementation can really read NSF-files? I’ve tested “Aspose Email for Java” with several NSF-files and none was working. The size ranged from a few MB to ~50GB. The only file i could open was your sample file.

The files aren’t broken because i can read and process them with the JAVA-API from Domino.

@glasen77,

I suggest you to please try using our latest Aspose.Email for Java 20.1. As far as API is concerned, it has support for Notes Storage File (NSF). For any incurring issue. please share the source file reproducing issue on your end that we may test and log in our issue tracking system.

I’m already using the latest version on a daily basis. Basically i can read a NSF-file with your library but the output from a normal NSF-file is not a EML-message but some Domino-specific binary format. In most times Aspose.Email throws an “ArgumentOutOfRangeException”.

I only can process a NSF-file when the messages are stored as an EML-file in the NSF-file (As in your sample file “NSFSample.nsf”).

Opening your sample file with the normal Domino-API works but produces no content because Domino assumes that the documents stored in a NSF-file are in the Domino-own format (Document-class in “Notes.jar”).

I’ve produced a sample NSF-file with the Notes client containing some non-sense sample messages which can be processed by the normal Domino-Java-API but not Aspose.Email.

caig.zip (9.5 MB)

@glasen77,

I have observed the NSF file shared by you and an issue with ID EMAILNET-39736 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be fixed.

Why was there a .NET email work item created for a Java post?

@mstandfuss,

The concerned Java ticket for the same issue is EMAILJAVA-34695 that has been added in our issue tracking system.

@mudassir.fayyaz would you be able to provide any timeline for a fix on this? We were looking to start leveraging Aspose for NSF files, but ran into this bug with the first file that we pointed it to. It needs to be fixed before we can even begin to evaluate whether or not to use the platform.

@mstandfuss,

I have verified from our issue tracking system and regret to share that at present the issue is still unresolved. We request for your patience till the time the issue gets resolved on our end.

A post was merged into an existing topic: NSF to EML conversion C# .NET

Hi @mudassir.fayyaz, any update on this.
I am facing the same issue. Most of the mailMessages that I’m getting from nsf.enumerateMessages() is showing corrupted and is not being load as mapiMessage. However those messages are not corrupted.

@HussainRuhul
We’ve discontinued further NSF research due to the closed source format nature, the latest supported version is Notes version 7 without using LZ1 compression.