Not Able to Read Signed Emails - Gmail

Hi,

I sign an email using X509 certificate and send with 'SmtpClient.Send'. At the recipient end I expect the email to show the message and the body along with the details of the certificate used to Sign the email. It works as expected in Outlook but not on Gmail/Hotmail. In Gmail I receive an attachment smime.p7m without the text entered in body. Please note that I am not encrypting the email.

Regards,

Sathyapriya

Hi Sathyapriya,

Thank you for contacting Aspose support team.

A signed message is sent to a gmail account using Outlook. On the receiving end, it is opened using Outlook and certificate details are available properly. Same message is opened using web client, but an attachment is there with the name smime.p7s.

Same is the behavior while sending the singed message using Aspose.Email. Hence this shows that its limitation of the web based client on receiving end and not a bug due to sending the message using Aspose.Email library.

This still looks like an issue. When I send an email with signature from Outlook, the message body as well an attachment smime.p7s is seen in Gmail, whereas with Aspose, I cannot read the message body(empty), only the smime.p7s attachment is found. Please advice.

Hi Sathyapriya,

Thank you for writing to Aspose Support team.

After retrieving a message with signature from a mailbox, it does contain the smime.p7 file. You can process it like this. Please try it at your end and let us know your feedback.

Sample Code:

MapiMessage msg = MapiMessage.FromFile(“smime_attach.msg”);

MemoryStream memStr = new MemoryStream();

msg.Attachments[0].Save(memStr);

//Following mapiMsg contains the actual message with proper html body and actual attachments

MapiMessage mapiMsg = MapiMessage.FromMailMessage(MailMessage.Load(memStr));

foreach (MapiAttachment att in mapiMsg.Attachments)

{

Console.WriteLine("Attachment: " + att.FileName);

}

Thank you for your reply. However, my issue is retrieving the message on the mailclient (Gmail). I am not accessing the message through Aspose.

I use SMTPClient to send a message that is signed. On the receiving end (Gmail Client), I expect to see the body of the message along with Smime.p7 file. This is what I observe when I send an email from outlook client. But with Aspose, I only get the Smime.p7 file.

Comparing Sending a Signed Message from Outlook Vs Aspose,

1. Send a message- signed from outlook client to Gmail.

2. Message Body, Smime.p7 file is seen in Gmail

3. Send a message - Signed using Aspose to Gmail

4. Only Smime.p7 file is seen in Gmail. Message body is missing.

Please advice.

Also please note that I observe a ‘padlock’ instead of a ‘rosette’ on the signed message on outlook, showing it as encrypted instead of signed. That might be the reason why gmail considers it as an encrypted message. I just use ‘addsignature’ before sending the message and do not encrypt it.

Please can I have an update on this issue. Thanks.

Hi Sathyapriya,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you have faced. We are currently investigating this issue at our end and will soon share our feedback with you here. We appreciate your little more patience in this regard.

Hi Kashif,

I am sorry to trouble you again but fixing this issue is very important for us as most of our financial customers send signed emails to customer addresses which could be Gmail/Hotmail. Please let me know the current status of this issue and if I could be of any help I am more than happy to assist.

Hi Sathyapriya,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

We have investigated this issue at our end and were able to reproduce it at our end. The issue has been logged as EMAILNET-34874 in our bug tracking system and our product team will look into it for further investigation. We shall notify you here once there is some update available about this problem.

Please can I have a likely release date of the fix.

Thanks.

Hi Sathyapriya,

The issue is not resolved yet and in still under investigation by our product team. We shall update you here once there is some information available about the status of this issue.

Please can I have an update on this issue. This is affecting one of our product releases.

Hi Sathyapriya,

I have checked the status of this issue and its still under progress. It is expected to be resolved in our upcoming release next month i.e. Sep 2015. I shall write back here in case of any other update in this regard.

Please can I have an update on the fix and likely release date.

Hi Sathyapriya,

We have checked the status of this issue from our issue tracking system and it is still under investigation. There are some complexities involved in resolution of this issue that may take some time for it to resolve. We’ll keep watching this issue and as soon as there is some information available about this problem, we’ll update you here via this thread.

Please can I have an update on this issue.

Hi Sathyapriya,

The issue has been postponed due to some complexity involved. I have requested an ETA from our Product team about the fix for this issue and shall soon update you here as the information is available to us. We are sorry for the trouble you are facing.

Can I have a timeline for this please. This is affecting our product delivery.

Hi Sathyapriya,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you are facing.

The issue involves some complexity and that is why it couldn’t be fixed by now. Our product team is investigating it further and I have requested an ETA for this issue. We’ll soon update you here as soon as there is some information available in this regard.