PdfFileInfo breaks compliance with PDF/A

Hi,

we are using Aspose.Words to save documents to PDF/A-1b and this works perfect.

When I use Aspose.Pdf.Kit.PdfFileInfo() to add metadata to the same file this breaks the compliance with PDF/A and saves the document as PDF v1.6 instead.

I guess this happens for one of these reasons:
1) Adding metadata to a PDF/A document is not supported, and actively converted to PDF v1.6.
2) Pdf.Kit is missing support for keeping the original PDF-format when adding metadata with PdfFileInfo().

Hope you can clear this up for me!

Best regards,
Are

Hi Are,

Please share the input PDF file with us along with the code snippet you’re using at your end. We’ll test the issue over here and update you accordingly.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

I attached a console application (.NET 3.5/VS2010) to demonstrate this. For validation of the PDF document I use Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. The PDF named “Document-without-metadata.pdf” is successfully validated against the PDF/A-1b standard. Adding metadata with the PdfFileInfo() method of Pdf.Kit breaks the PDF/A compliance and returns the document as a PDF v1.6.

Code:

// Convert document to PDF with Aspose.Words
var document = new Document(“Document.docx”);
var documentOptions = new Aspose.Words.Saving.PdfSaveOptions
{
Compliance = Aspose.Words.Saving.PdfCompliance.PdfA1b
};

document.Save(“Document-without-metadata.pdf”, documentOptions);

// Use Aspse.Pdf.Kit to add metadata to PDF
var documentInfo = new PdfFileInfo(“Document-without-metadata.pdf”)
{
Title = “Demo Title”,
Author = “Demo Author”,
Creator = “Demo Creator”,
Subject = “Demo Subject”
};

documentInfo.SetMetaInfo(“DemoProperty”, “Demo value”);
documentInfo.SaveNewInfo(“Document-with-metadata.pdf”);

Hi Are,

I have reproduced this problem at my end and logged it as PDFKITNET-21137 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once it is resolved.

Regards,

Thanks,

Can you give me an estimate when you will have this fixed?

- Are

Hi Are,

As you know this issue was logged recently, our team still needs to investigate it in detail. I’m sorry to inform you that we’re unable to share the ETA for this issue at the moment. Please spare us some time so we could investigate and understand the issue properly. You’ll be updated with the results accordingly.

Regards,

A month have passed, and I hope you have had enough time to at least give me an update of what the status of this problem is now.

Hi Are,

I have requested the ETA, from our team, for this issue. You’ll be updated as soon as the response is received.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
Regards,

Hi Are,

Our team has further investigated this issue and I would like to share with you that the fix for this issue will be available in Jan 2011 release, which will be published at the end of the Jan 2011 or early Feb 2011.

If you find any further questions, please do let us know.
Regards,

This fix was not included in the February release as first promised. Please give me an explanation and a release date.

The PDF/A compliance breach in your product is a very serious issue for our customer, and they are disappointed by the delay of this fix. The error was reported to you for almost 3 months ago.

Hi Are,

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the delay in the resolution. In our initial investigation, we were hopeful to resolve the issue in Q1’2011; however, I’m afraid, after further investigation we had to reschedule this issue. I’m sorry to inform you that the fix for this issue will be available after Q2’2011.

We really appreciate your patience and cooperation. If you find any further questions or concerns, please do let us know.
Regards,

Q2’2011 -> as of within 30th of June 2011?

Hi Are,

Yes, you’re right; hopefully, it will be available within 30th of June 2011.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions, please do let us know.
Regards,

Hi,

Could you please give me an update on this issue? Can we expect it to be solved in the next version (5.7)?

Best regards,
Are

Hi Are,

I’ll get in touch with our team and share the latest status with you shortly.

Regards,

So what’s the status? Is has been about 2 months since I tried to get an update from you since.

Best regards,
Are

Hi Are,

I’m sorry to inform you that we couldn’t resolve this issue during Q2’2011 due to various complexities involved. However, our team is trying hard to resolve this issue the earliest possible. You’ll be updated via this forum thread as soon as it is resolved.

Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 21137) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.