Performance issue with Aspose Word

We are using Aspose word to export data from Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services 2005. The functionality is that when we click button from front end report will get generated in Aspose word and that report in word document will open. The time required from button click till opening of document is always more for first run and for subsequent runs it is decreasing. This time of 1st run is always greater than 100 secs for 300 pages of output. If the pages are less the time is less. For next run, time is decreasing and sometimes it is less than one minute. My observation is that time is always same for SQL ouput and for report server output which is very less compare to total time. 50% to 80% time of total time is required to generate aspose word document only.
Can anybody tell me what is the general behaviour of Aspose word in terms of time to generate particular pages of report?
Is there any way where we can handle this performance issue of Aspose word? Or any other work around for this?

Hi
Thanks for your request. Do you use Aspose.Words for .NET or Aspose.Words for Reporting Services? If you are using Aspose.Words for .NET please provide sample code that you are using to generate a report. We will check it and provide you more information.
Best regards,

Thanks for your reply!
I can not directly post my code here. But we are using approach given in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2005/ms153586(v=sql.90) to generate url to connect to report server by passing parameters.
For e.g. my url will be http://reportserverURL/folderInWhichRDLisLocated/nameOfReport&rs:Format=AWDOC&rs:Command=Render&Paramaeter1=value&Parameter2=value
The generation of url is taking only 2-3 secs. Once it connects to report server that process takes lot of time. I checked the time taken by report server only and it is always very less of total time. More time is taken by word generation process.
Let me know your opinion so that I can provide you more input from my side.

I would also like to specify that my report contains all data in tabular format and also three images whose size is around 400 bytes. The text is not always plain text it may contain hyperlinks, different font properties i.e font size, bold/normal etc. .

Hi
Thank you for additional information. Have you tried with other save formats? Try with some standard save formats, like PDF or CSV. Is the response time less in this case?
Best regards,

Alexey
I checked other formats like PDF and it is taking very less time than word.

Hi
Thank you for additional information. Could you please attach your rdl and drl.data files here for testing? We will check the issue and provide you more information.
Best regards,

Let me check how can I share required info with you.
Till that time could you please tell me what is the general behaviour of Aspose word to render any data? Is it depends on anything?

Alexey
Could you please check these files?

Hi
Thank you for additional information. I logged the issue in our defect database. The developer responsible for Aspose.Words for Reporting Services will take a look at the issue shortly.
Best regards,

Hi
Any update on this?

Hi
Thanks for your request. unfortunately, there is no news regarding this issue yet.I asked the responsible developer to take a look at the issue shortly. Once I get a feedback from him, I will provide you more information.
Best regards,

Thanks Alexey!!
Let me know about it once you find solution.

Alexey
Now the issue is increased as we are fetching report.
During rendering of report using Aspose when huge data is expected to return, the reports crashes the SSRS App Pool every time it runs. It is also observed that CPU/Memory utilization increase too high during this.
This issue is on priority, could you please revert to me as soon as possible?

Hi Alexey
I am seeing very high memory utilization while rendering this report. Check attachment for the details.
Could you please look in to it on priority?

Hi
Thanks for your request. The responsible developer will take a look at this matter shortly.
Best regards,

Hi - Have you found a solution on this issue? The issue is severely impacting our SSRS 2005 servers as we observed that it utilizes more than 1.5GB everytime we export the report to Word/Doc. In fact, export to any of Aspose.word format would crash the app pool.
Is there any limitation of file size, number of records or images of aspose.word?

Hi
Thank you for additional information. The only limitation is an amount of memory available on your side. You should note that Aspose.Words builds a DOM of the document in the memory upon generating. Usually it requires few times more memory (10-20) to build the DOM than the size of the generated document. So in some cases your output document can be simply to huge for Aspose.Words to generate.
I let the responsible developer know that you are still waiting for an answer, he should get back to you shortly.
Best regards,

Hi,
Please find below some figures for the Aspose.word perfomrance
Document Size Maximumn Memory Report Sucessfully Generated
14.9 MB 1 GB Yes
20 MB 1.4GB No, System crash
As per above data, there is huge amount of memory leakage from Aspose.word. Can you please confirm if this is expected behaviour of this product? If No, then anything can be done to minimize this memory utilization.

Hi,
20Mb doc (not docx) file normally means a really big MS Word document. Taking into account there are at least two models in memory simultaneously (report’s model and document’s model), it is probably just a memory consumption that cannot be seriously reduced. I will play with your RDL reports shortly but it seems like you try to generate large reports that consumes lots of memory. BTW, how much memory does a built-in renderer (say PDF) consume when exporting this report?
Thanks.