Conversion .docx to .pdf error

One of our customers uploaded an .docx document (see attached), which resulted in the following error in the API Usage log. I think this is an error in the converson to .pdf

The first line occured last, the last line occured first (that is the way how the log orders it).

3/8/2013 8:33 AM Default App pdf Incorect file format n/a

3/8/2013 8:33 AM Default App storage Upload the file ‘7c82701d9c2b6eac9749de9f1d78c834ad381115.pdf’. 0.10 kb

3/8/2013 8:33 AM Default App words Rectangle ‘{X=1025376,Y=127000,Width=0,Height=320352.6}’ cannot have a width or height equal to 0. n/a

3/8/2013 8:33 AM Default App storage Upload the file ‘7c82701d9c2b6eac9749de9f1d78c834ad381115.docx’. 1412.74 kb

Hi Richard,

We have also observed this issue and logged it as SAASWORDS-66. Our development team is investigating this issue. We will keep you updated on this issue in this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Support Developer, Saaspose
Sialkot Team
http://www.saaspose.com

I actually wonder why this results into an entirely failing conversion. For our purpose it should be fine to ignore that rectangle and continue the conversion.

Unfortunately there occured another, quite critical bug in the conversion of a document to a .pdf

When we send the attached 60-page-counting file to Saaspose for conversion, a document of 58 pages is returned.

Since we heavily rely on a correct pagecount / wordcount, I hope this can be investigated with high priority.

Can you please let us know what your progressions are?

Hi Richard,

As far as text and number of words are concerned, both input document and output PDF show same text and have equal number of words.

The reason for less number of pages in the output PDF is that 2-3 pages have just 5-6 lines in the input document but in the output PDF, those 5-6 lines are shifted on the previous page so previous page has more number of words now. This can happen if Saaspose.Words encounters a page break after those 5-6 lines.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Sialkot Team

Hi Muhammad,

I understand the reason why this happens, but that does not solves the problem. If that extra whitespace is there by purpose, then for the .pdf this should be the same right? That is also how it works when a document is saved as .pdf from Microsoft Word.

Otherwise, our editors automatically get their order based on those pages. They get the originally uploaded Word file, not the converted .pdf (with less pages). This results in an discrepancy that shouldn't be there, the .docx should be 100% the same as the .pdf.

Can you tell me how this can / will be solved? Thanks :)

Hi Richard,

This issue has been logged into our issue tracking system as SAASWORDS-80. We will share the ETA as soon as our development team analyzes the issue in detail and share expected resolution date. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Sialkot Team

Our customers again have problems during the upload process. This time, again there is an error during the conversion of a .docx to a .pdf file.

See attached files for more info. Please inform us about a possible solution!

Hi Richard,

This issue has been logged into our issue tracking system as SAASWORDS-69. Our developers will further investigate this issue and we will share further details and ETA. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience.

I would also like to share that a similar issue you reported earlier which was logged as SAASWORDS-66 has been resolved and will be available in the coming release of our base product and it will be live soon.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Ijaz

Regards,
Imran Rafique
Support Team

Hello Imran,

Any info on the progress of the issues SAASWORDS-69 and SAASWORDS-80? We would like to test the system by converting the to those issues related documents.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm sorry to share with you that these issues are not yet resolved. These issues are pending for analysis. We have asked the responsible developer to take a look at your issue shortly. We will keep you informed and let you know once it is fixed and available for public use.

Regards,
Imran Rafique

Support Team

Great news! We have been debugging the most important issue we were facing, namely that there appear extra pages in the .pdf after the conversion from .docx. We managed to made our issue reproducible, so in fact this means we located the issue. The file in the attachment can be used to reproduce the conversion bug.

The bug has something to do with headings in combination with page-breaks. We think that if a page ends with a page-break, it still is possible to add empty heading formatting after that page-break on the same page. Converting results into an entirely empty page, since the conversion process thinks this “page-break / header”-combination do has some content. By clicking the pilcrow-icon in Word, the “show all” mode activates, which clarifies the location of the header in relation to the page-break.

We hope you guys are able to fix this problem, since a correct page-count and amount of pages is crucial to our business :slight_smile:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing the problematic Word document. I managed to replicate the problem. I have logged this problem under ticket id SAASWORDS-79 in our issue tracking system. We will let you know once it is fixed and available for the public use. We're sorry for your inconvenience.

Hi Imran,

We again had a customer which wasn’t able to complete the order process. The conversion .docx > .pdf again created a fatal error, resulting in no document. Please take a look at the document in the attachments in order to reproduce the error. We already tried to upload the document without the first page and the attachments, but still the error occured. In other words, the error occurs in the middle part of the document.

As you can imagine, we are quite suprised about the fact that Saaspose generates so many fatal errors. We are willing to help with the debugging, but please keep us informed about the debugging progress.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your inquiry. I tested your provided sample against the latest code base. I regretfully inform you that I'm able to replicate the error message. This problem has been logged in our issue tracking system under ticket Id SAASWORDS-80. We will soon investigate the cause of error message. Also, you will be notified once the fix for your problem is available for public use.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

From my colleague I’ve heard that the problems were solved and the fix was available live. Up till now I’m still able to reproduce the bug, so is the fix already live yet?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your inquiry. I’m sorry to share with you that the fixes are not live yet. Your issues have been resolved in our code base but the release is in its testing phase. Once the release is published then we will be able to integrate these fixes with the live Saaspose service. Please spare us a bit more time. We will notify you as soon as the fixes are available for the public use. We’re sorry for your inconvenience.

Hello, I managed to logon the Aspose community.

1. The forum is terribly slow, sometimes when I’m lucky it reacts within 4 seconds but very often the pageload is > 30 sec

2. The documents I posted over here on Zendesk are supposed to be confidential, but does the import in the Aspose forum mean that they are visible for all other users?

3. How can I know that a reaction has been posted to my issues? There is no separate cloud category, do I get emails when someone reacted?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your inquiry.
richard@scribbr.nl:
1. The forum is terribly slow, sometimes when I'm lucky it reacts within 4 seconds but very often the pageload is > 30 sec
Could you please check now? Because forum pages are taking 10-15 seconds on my side. Maybe it is due to peak hours because I think low speed is just a downside of a heavy traffic consumption of our site pages.
richard@scribbr.nl:
2. The documents I posted over here on Zendesk are supposed to be confidential, but does the import in the Aspose forum mean that they are visible for all other users?
Your forum thread has already been marked as private. It is safe to attach files in the forum. If you attach your document here, only you and Aspose staff members can download it. You can also send the resources to my e-mail as described here: http://www.aspose.com/corporate/purchase/faqs/send-license-to-aspose-staff.aspx

You can also remove any sensitive information by replacing it with dummy data instead.
richard@scribbr.nl:
3. How can I know that a reaction has been posted to my issues? There is no separate cloud category, do I get emails when someone reacted?
Yes, you will get an email notification when someone reacted. You can select an appropriate forum e.g. your inquiry is regarding Aspose.Pdf for Cloud (a.k.a Saaspose.Pdf) then please select Aspose.Pdf forum to create a new post. Please also don't forget to select a platform as a cloud.

Please let me know in case of further assistance or questions.

Hi Imran,

Thanks for the clear answers, I will try to manage the “terrible” pageload and will inform you guys if it occurs again.

Any update on the progress of the current outstanding issues?