GridWeb.ImportExcelFile throws exception "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Hi,
I used the following codes to load the attached excel file:
At PageLoad of the page:
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (!IsPostBack)
{
var filePath = @“c:\temp\test.xlsx”;
gridExcel.WebWorksheets.Clear();
gridExcel.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(filePath);
}
}

I got the following exception while importing the attached excel file:
System.NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code
Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source=Aspose.Cells.GridWeb
StackTrace:
at Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.Data.Name…ctor(String text, String refersTo)
at Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.Data.NameCollection.Add(String text, String refersTo)
at xd217579df7b1e971.x16626c3c4b40f0eb.xbfec79deb3407789(WebWorksheets x33e4b3a4ad4758cc)
at Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.Data.WebWorksheets.ImportFrom(x24a8a2df6f42dc81 importer)
at Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.Data.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(String fileName)
at UsingAsposeGrid.Presenter.Load() in D:\Downloads\Aspose\UsingAsposeGrid\UsingAsposeGrid\Presenter.cs:line 26
at UsingAsposeGrid._Default.LoadGrid() in D:\Downloads\Aspose\UsingAsposeGrid\UsingAsposeGrid\Default.aspx.cs:line 23
at UsingAsposeGrid._Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Downloads\Aspose\UsingAsposeGrid\UsingAsposeGrid\Default.aspx.cs:line 15
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
InnerException:

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Thanks for providing us the sample file here.

After an initial test, I can find the issue as you have mentioned. I have logged your issue into our issue tracking system with an id: CELLSNET-22918. Once we figure it out, we will let you know.

Thank you.

Hi,

We have fixed the issue in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.1.2003(attached). Please update the Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.dll file first, and then remove all files in /acw_client/ virtual directory, update it with /acw_client directory in the zip file

Thank you.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve tried with the latest dll that you have attached here. I still do have some blocker issues which delays me from buying the GridWeb component. I’ve attached the demo project that I tried. Also there are some screen shots to elaborate the problems. Here are the issues:

1. At firefox loading is not displayed. It shows at IE7 and IE8.
  2. Browsing Default.aspx with IE8, while refreshing the page using CTRL + F5, I got javascript error like screen shot “IE8JSError1.jpg”.
  3. IE8 renders un-expected area between the bottom bar and the grid as screen shot “IE8UnexpectedArea.jpg”.
  4. Failed to use asp.net update panel control as it works with IE but not with FF.
  5. If you see code at Default.aspx.cs, you’ll see a method named SetSheetSize, which I introduced to ensure column A-Z and row 1-200 to be rendered for the first sheet. At any version of IE a horizontal scroll bar does appear with some default column width, which is exceptable. But at FF the columns are squized as like screen shot “FFColumnWidth.jpg”. Also at FF if a cell contains long string then column width auto adjusted to fit the text and other column width are auto squized which is completely un-exceptable as we want to preserve the default row and column styles as it is in the excel file.
  6. Can’t hide context menu and sheet scroll buttons (at both IE and FF) at FF as like screen shot “FFHideButtons.jpg”.
I also do have few other issues with the EnableAjax property. It doesn’t work well with FF.
I need the issues to be solved before I make the decision to use the component in production.
If all the issues I mentioned above are solved, can you please give me the exact link to buy the component?

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Thanks for providing us the sample project to show the issues.

I have and tested your project and found your mentioned issues, e.g 1,3,5.

I have logged your issues as an id: CELLSNET-22996. We will look into your issues soon. Once we figure them out, we will let you know.

Thank you.

Hi,

After further investigation, we found the IE8 issues you mentioned don’t reappear any more. May be it is caused by some script files are not loaded properly. We recommend you add this section to your web.config file, and confirm the /acw_client/ virtual directory has been configured. This configuration will speed up to load images and script files at client end too.

Moreover, some features (freeze panes, Ajax update etc.) are not currently supported in FireFox browser type. We are enhancing the client script files to support them. It will take us a few weeks to implement it. Once it is done, we will let you know.

Keep in touch.

Thank you.

Hi,
Trying the above appSettings didn’t work for me. I got the same script error that I attached in ScreenShots.zip file. Additionally none of my issues has been resolved including the IE8 issues. I’m using the following version of IE8: version: 8.0.7600.16385.

At IE7 I got error like attached screen shot IE7Error1.jpg when I tried to navigate to another sheet.
Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

We noted down your issue (logged as: CELLSNET-22996). It will take a few days to figure it out. Once we figure it out, we will let you know.

Thank you.

Hi,

We have fixed the IE8 issues in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.1.2004(attached). Please update the Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.dll file first, and then remove all files in /acw_client/ virtual directory, update it with /acw_client directory in the zip file.

Kindly let us know if it works for you.

Thank you.

Hi,
I’ve checked the latest dll that you attached with the project that I attached before. It works fine now with IE8 and IE7. But the latest dll doesn’t work well with FireFox. With the latest dll at FF, sheet navigation can’t be done, cell edit not possible…etc which works fine with the version v2.4.1.2003. Additionaly none of my FF issues which I listed in my previous post in this thread has been resolved.

I need to support both FF and IE all versions in my page where I’m going to use the grid component.

Please revisit my FF issues which I listed before and make the latest v2.4.1.2004 dll functional for both IE and FF.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Yes, we found the issues you have mentioned in FireFox. Actually we are now enhancing the features for FireFox according, so you are getting these issues on FireFox. It would take about 1-2 weeks to fix the issues. Once we are done, we will update you here.

Keep in touch.
Thank you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 22918;22996) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hi,
I got the latest 5.2.2 version and tried that one with the project “UsingAsposeGrid” that I attached before. It works fine now with both IE and FF as it did with the older version that I started with. But still none of my FF issues that I listed in thread 277285 has been resolved.

The javascript errors that I mentioned in that thread are gone with the latest version. Thanks for that.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

We have fixed the script bug in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2001.

Please update the dll, and update acwmain.js into /acw_client virtual directory.

Hi,

We have enhanced GridWeb in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2002(attached). It works fine on FireFox now, please try it. Please update the Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.dll file first, and then remove all files in /acw_client/ virtual directory, update it with /acw_client directory in the zip file.

Kindly let us know if it works fine now.

Thank you.

Hi,
We decided to buy the GridWeb component. Can you give me the exact link to buy it?

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Thanks for considering Aspose.Cells.Grid control.

Please post a query to Aspose.Purchase forum:
http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/aspose.purchase/220/showforum.aspx

They will help you very soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for the latest update. I’ve tried the latest Aspose.Cells.GridWeb
v2.4.2.2002. Few things at FireFox has been solved like:

• Loading is now shown at FF as IE.
  • Selected cell can be edited without double clicking on the cell just as like IE.
But, still there are some major problems. Here is the list:
  1. If you double click on a cell to edit, the cursor position is not right at FF.
  2. At FF, after editing a cell when enter is pressed, the cell selection goes to the bottom adjacent cell which is fine, but all the texts of that sheet also selected which is totally unexceptable.
I've a doubt whether custom styles are working properly with the latest version. Please confirm.
It would be nice if we have the Ajax feature enabled for all browsers.
Please run my attached project to see the problems I mentioned above.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Well, I checked your project, it is using v2.4.2.2001.
Please try Aspose.Cells.GridWeb
v2.4.2.2003(attached). Also, please
update the Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.dll file first, and then remove all
files in /acw_client/ virtual directory, update it with /acw_client
directory in the zip file.

Let us know if it works fine now.

Thank you.

Hi,
The latest Aspose.Cells.GridWeb
v2.4.2.2003 version works very fine with both FF and IE. Ajax is also also working for both browsers.
I will let you if any other issue arises after further testing.
Thanks.
Wahid